Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 7/3/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

I made pancakes!  





They're 1/3 cattail pollen, 2/3 whole grain flour pancakes.  I'm told not to go higher than 1/2 cattail pollen when baking, probably because baking is finicky.  Still, I was pleased with the results.  They did have a distinctive taste to my taste buds, but I couldn't really identify what it was.  I guess if we go collecting again next year, I'll need to get more and do a half and half recipe.  Either way, the yellow color these turned due to the pollen was quite pretty.  

Summer Games Done Quick is over.  It was quite an experience, and I'll talk about it this Friday.  Suffice it to say, it was exhausting, many gamers went home very happy, and Doctors Without Borders is going to receive a lot of money to provide medical services all over the world.  So basically everybody wins, at least after I rest up.  

I'm still doing the experiments with the grounding pad, but the results aren't as dramatic as I was hoping.  Real science often isn't.  I didn't really have results from having the grounding pad's connectivity changed from day to day, so I'm in the process of trying it with one week on, one week off.  Double-blind, so at the moment I have no idea whether it's plugged in.  I'm merely documenting my results until both weeks are over.

...It occurs to me that not everyone has a background in psychology, so: Double-blind experiments are ones where the full conditions of the experiment are hidden from both researchers and subjects.  This is to prevent either group from making assumptions, and from those assumptions affecting the data.  

In this case, I kind of expect to sleep better when the grounding mat is plugged in.  That's my assumption, which biases me towards putting more favorable results for my sleep if I know the mat is plugged in.  Therefore, I should not be told whether the mat is plugged in.  That's "single blind" in this experiment.

My spouse is helping me.  Kind of being my research assistant, he's the one plugging in and unplugging the grounding mat.  He knows, therefore, the status of the mat, but not what results I've been getting from my sleep.  This ignorance to the results of the experiment is the "double blind" in the experiment.  The whole experiment, having both of these, is therefore "double blind."  

Last thing, I picked up a cold somewhere.  I was originally assuming it was an allergic reaction to the new nut butter I've been trying, or to the cattail pollen... but the progression is pretty unmistakable by now.  Fuzzy head and slightly scratchy throat, leading to sniffy nose, leading to massively stuffed up nose, leading to hacking cough (my current location), which eventually fades away (hopefully soon!).  I've frozen the last of my cattail pancakes, just in case, but I don't expect a reaction when I eat them in a couple weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment