Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 7/24/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

I did end up making a mixed berry pie from the summer black raspberries.  I needed to supplement it with a few store raspberries and blackberries, but I think the end result was pretty good.  I froze about half the pie after it had cooled, because a whole pie is a bit much for two people to eat in a few days.  

A mixed berry pie with a heart cut into the top crust.

a green cutting board with a paring knife.  Below are three berries for comparison: a raspberry, a blackberry, and a wild-grown black raspberry.  The wild berry is about an eighth the size of the blackberry.

I'm still coughing and sniffling a bit.  And the red bumps aren't really going away.  My doctor has a theory for this, which I think I'll try out next week.  The test will likely be misery-inducing, but hopefully educational, and it's only as expensive as buying some extra food ingredients and planning a day's meals.  I'll make a Friday post out of it, so look forward to that next week.  

View from a glider- mostly puffy white clouds and blue sky

View from a glider.  A layer of puffy clouds, with patchwork of trees, roads, and farmland below

View from a glider.  Patchwork of fields, forests, and roads, with the occasional puffy white cloud.

Also this week, I finally received my birthday present from last year, which was put off by weather- and people-related shenanigans until now.  My spouse bought me a 5,000 foot glider ride, which was fairly fun.  I like the fluffy clouds and seeing the patchwork quilt of the landscape.  Generally I only get to see such things from a commercial aircraft, and even then, not very often.  So it was kind of fun to try this kind of flying.  I probably wouldn't go again, especially not with that particular company (because of said people-related shenanigans), but it was a good experience to have had.  

This week I've been experimenting with having the wifi turned off on my tablet at bedtime.  My spouse has kindly done the same.  The theory is that wifi, dirty electricity, and cell phone signals can mess with peoples' brain signals, which can disrupt sleep and such.  

I haven't noticed a whole lot of changes with the lack of wifi, but then, I've been having to get up for various reasons, so maybe this hasn't been the best test.   I'd like to try a couple more things before giving up on the endeavor.  First, I'd like to start turning off our home's wifi overnight.  It's not like we're using it while we're sleeping anyway.  And second, I'd like to move the bed away from the wall.  It turns out that our electricity meter (which is a smart meter) is right against the wall the bed is on, which... isn't great, by the sound of what my doctor tells me about the theory I'm testing.  I'm not really 100% clear on the theory in question, so that's something I'll have to ask about before I write on it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment