Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 7/31/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

I'm tired this week.  Between the bright summer morning light and my spouse getting up in the morning, I can't seem to sleep in at all.  In addition, I abused my system a bit yesterday in service of science and improved knowledge, which I'll explain in detail on Friday.  I haven't had to go to the hospital, but the experience definitely took a toll.  I'm now trying to recover from it.  With luck, it won't take the rest of the week.  

I'm going to start getting more serious about the wifi restriction stuff I mentioned wanting to try last week.  Starting with turning the wifi off at night.  I miss being able to sleep in, and while the summer light levels probably mean that's an impossibility, I'd like to exhaust my options.  

It's been kind of a busy week.  There was a work party at Chris' workplace, which we attended.  We didn't stay long, because it was supposed to be a family-friendly thing, and we don't have kids and also don't know many people at the company.  But it was free food, at least.

We also had two sets of friends visit the house, which was fun but also draining when you're already low on energy.  The first was a dinner and game night combo, the second a dessert and movie night.  Good times were had.  Another friend will come by tomorrow.  This is all good for my social life, but bad for my energy levels and attempts to get work done on this blog.

Lastly, still another friend got into a car accident, which totaled her poor car and gave her and her wife some ouchy bruises (though thankfully no other injuries, apparently).  She's having kind of a bad time right now, so I'm helping out by serving as transportation to work, and occasionally errands.  Considering I have the luxury of my own car, this is a service that's easier for me to offer than it could be.  It does take time, which I'm making the best of with podcasts.

I'd been neglecting my podcasts for the last month or so.  I can't listen to them while I'm trying to work, because I need my words-processing capability for formulating ideas and turning them into words.  It's a shame, because I missed listening to my various folklore, history, news, and comedy podcasts.  Possibly, I should simply set aside some time each week to simply do that, rather than expecting opportunities to pop up.  In the meantime, though, I get to listen to a podcast, then spend time with my friend for a bit, then listen to more podcast on the way home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment