Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 7/17/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

This week I'm just tired.  Toro, the parrot I mentioned last week, is home with her moms as of yesterday.  Taking care of her was an effort, and she definitely has a mind of her own.  She even gave her moms some trouble, when they came to get her.  Silly thing.  I'm sure she's a lot happier now that she's home, though.

  

I'm still coughing on occasion, and my nose isn't entirely back to normal.  I'm not sure what the deal is now.  The doom algae out back was growing nicely, so perhaps that's it.  I'd had more psychological problems last year when that was the case, though, so I dunno if that explains it.  The heavens opened up and it just sheeted rain for about a half hour yesterday, which seems to have torn the algae to shreds.  If I do better today, that might be a good sign that the algae was the problem.  

I'm not sure today will be super different, though.  I woke up quite early today instead of sleeping until my usual time.  That might simply be a temperature issue, but it's really not that hot out yet and I was using a lighter blanket as well.  

In the meantime, I'm trying to do the bare minimum for most of my activities, which isn't always working out due to the enthusiasm of others.  That's life, but I can't exactly get my lost energy back, so I really hope life stops complicating itself for a bit so I can recover mentally and emotionally.  It's kind of been one long expenditure of energy, starting at Games Done Quick, continuing with the cold, and then taking care of Toro.  If I'm fortunate, I can have a bit of a breather before October, Month of All Birthdays, arrives.  

My outdoor adventures with black raspberries are mostly over, unfortunately.  The season is fairly short, counted in weeks, but only like 2-3.  I still have some berries left from the last outing, at least.  I'll probably freeze half of them, or however much I need to make a pie.  I don't think I've ever actually made a fruit pie before, so hopefully I can find a good recipe.

I didn't come away from my adventures entirely unscathed this time.  I appear to have a great number of tiny bumps.  They itched at first, but I washed them with soap and now they don't.  Not sure what the deal is.  They're not red since I washed them, but the Internet isn't being super forthcoming on what they are, possibly because there are a lot of possibilities.  They're not making me miserable, at least.  I ruled out poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.  My best guess is oak mites, which apparently die if kept indoors, so I guess if I don't sprout any more, that's probably it?  

I guess I can check with my doctor about them when I see her tomorrow, too.  She's a big proponent of outdoor activities, and also a mom of four, so she's probably seen whatever this is before. 

Assuming the bumps are nothing horrible, the raspberry plants seem to be coming into season, so I might go out for a small harvest of those.  I've seen a lot fewer of the regular raspberry plants, but there were several at a local park, and another near my parents' place.  Definitely not enough to make a pie out of, or even a substantial side dish, but cool to see and fun to snack on.  Wild raspberries taste just like the ones you find in the store, except perfectly ripe and always flavorful.  I guess, if I found enough, I could put them into a mixed berry pie with the black raspberries?  

No comments:

Post a Comment