Tuesday, December 29, 2015

LENS and Life, week of 12/22

Holy moly.  Well, I haven't gotten behind on entries for months, until holidays hit.  So I guess that's something.

No LENS this week, because my doctor doesn't have 800 mile long electrodes.  Hello from CT!  The 13+ hour drive was annoying, but Chris and I switched off driving every 2-4 hours.  As someone used to making the drive alone, or in 6 hour stints, or whatever, this was a really nice change.  Yay, sanity preservation!  There was no snow or difficulties (sans other drivers...) to speak of, other than a bit of rain.  I like my Christmases white, but I think climate change is going to have its way this year.  60+ degrees (F) in December is... unprecedented, at least in my lifespan.  It'd usually be at least 30 degrees cooler, probably 40 or 50.  Brrr...

This week will involve last minute frenzied gift-shopping and making.  I have uncles and aunts, and so does Chris.  They're all but impossible to shop for.  So having gotten some last minute ideas, we're taking today and tomorrow to acquire them.  Well, most of today and tomorrow.

To my displeasure, we're also making several social calls in this small amount of free time.  Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are going to be jam packed with his family and mine, and I was hoping to save some energy.  But as long as we're in the Northeast, Chris wants to see this friend and that friend, and visit this place and that place.  I have no real love for the area in general (sorry, any fond residents), so I'm decided unenthusiastic about the whole thing.  But we're only here once a year, so I'm not going to rain on his parade too much.

Let's see... highlights of the visit so far.  We went and saw a mutual friend of ours already.  It was mainly a low key visit, hanging out and watching one of the older Star Wars movies.  This was in preparation for Sunday, when we saw the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens.  I loved a lot of it.  It wasn't a flawless movie, but I like the new characters and hope they live up to their set ups.  No spoilers here, but do go see it if you haven't.  It's a fun watch.

We also attended a handbell concert that same day.  Chris has an older brother, David, whose wife rings, as they call it, with a handbell choir.  (I complained about their wedding almost a year ago)  Apparently David himself has actually started playing with the choir as well, but only recently.  The concert was glorious.  I don't play handbells myself, but my mother did for a number of years, and I have memories of her playing and arranging music for handbells.  And this choir was skilled!  They broke out a number of techniques I recognized (some of which are very difficult, especially with the large handbells the size of your head).  They also had a set of hand chimes.  It was a fun watch, and I recorded a couple songs on my tablet so I could show my mother later and recommend she look into the choir. 

On a less happy note, I am not sleeping well.  I wasn't sleeping well before we traveled, and the change of beds and the fact that I keep forgetting to take the insomnitol isn't helping.  Hopefully I can kick the trend soon.  I need as much sleep as I can get for the huge Christmas party my aunt is holding.  : / 

Must dash.  See you Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment