Tuesday, December 22, 2015

LENS and Life, week of 12/15

Eek, it's almost the end of the year.  I'm driving to CT in just a couple days!  Commence with the flailing and the packing of all the stuff!

LENS
1 site today.  I checked with the doctor: I'm at 9/21 site on my third brain map.  Between only doing one site per visit and the visits being every other week, this last map is going to take a good long while.  I seem to be doing okay, but I'm being plagued by my perennial problem: I can't honestly tell whether anything has really changed.  A certain amount of obliviousness is human nature for this kind of thing, and while I know that for a fact, it's still really, really annoying.  I think I'm doing better than I was while unemployed or at college?  Probably.  That might be like comparing potatoes to avocados, though.  My brain has rewired itself several times since I've been in college, for various jobs and a stint with unemployment.

Career Progress?
So, recently John Elder Robison, one of the two big names in autism advocacy, put out a call for reviewers for federal autism research.  Thanks to my connection with Puzzle Partners and Autism Support of Kent County (ASK) in general, I was able to get a letter of nomination to send with my application.  The position itself is basically consulting work, helping shape and direct autism research, meeting scientists, and learning about the current research.  It won't pay my bills, but it would be a great way to meet people and keep educated on the latest research for autism.  I'm hopeful that between the fact that I got my application in reasonably fast and the fact that I hold a bachelor's degree in psychology, my application will be considered seriously.

It sounds like what I've done is the first step in the process, though.  Actual paperwork will ensue.  Alas.  Not really surprising, though, given it's the federal government.  The government does things, but "fast" is not an adjective that I feel confident in applying to any bureaucracy. 

Titles/Improving My Writing
I noticed I have the tendency to write these entries but not always make them really simple to read.  A lot of easily digestible things I read are subdivided.  Especially if they're long, but even if they're not.  So I may play around with dividers between subjects in these entries.  I doubt it'll harm the readability, and it might even help.  

So I may take writing or psychology classes in the near future, but I seem to have missed the cutoff date for class registration for the colleges in the area.  By about a week, of all things.  Oof.  I may still be able to slide into a couple classes that didn't fill up, perhaps.  My brother pointed out, last time I saw him, that my writing could probably improve.  Which is quite true.  I'm trying to improve it by actually doing the writing, but I'm pretty sure taking a class or two couldn't hurt either.  Well, except for my pride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment