Friday, December 11, 2015

3 Observations From a Non-judgemental Gym

1.  TV Diversity is Highly Lacking.  Across 8 televisions, playing a variety of TV shows and movies, the most visible diversity I've seen in one scan across the screens was three persons of color.  Three.  (Not including sports games, because diversity needs to be in all kinds of TV and it hardly seems fair when you can get an entire team on the screen, 8+ people.)  Gee, modern TV, you know the diversity of the US is changing, right?  Try to keep up.  Prominent examples of shows toting nonwhite characters: the news (thanks President Obama), Castle (but it's not one of the main-main characters, it's one of the main-side characters), and some talk show I don't recognize.  Occasionally Planet Fitness' channel itself features minority-type people as well, so at least there's that.

2.  Even in a Non-judgemental Gym, People Still Love to Judge.  So today I watched a thin-ish girl dressed in bright pink walk past a dozen open treadmills to slide between myself and another thicker lady.  She then proceeded to obviously compare herself to us, matching my speed and pace.  Thankfully for my pride and sense of fairness in the world, she got a stitch in her side and burned out in 15 minutes.  Meanwhile I did interval  (run/speedwalk) training for another 10 minutes, because I am no one's bottom of the barrel comparison, thank you.  Like I don't have enough self-esteem problems without someone obviously making that judgement.

3.  Weird Decor Is Always Weird.  This gym's decor is purple and yellow.  Seriously, I cannot make this stuff up.
Yes, those are specifically branded cardio machines.
This isn't my particular gym, but it's close enough.  I keep my nose in a book, or use the Internet on my tablet, because looking anywhere else is an eyesore. There is no respite from the colors.  They're in the lockers, the stretching areas, the consultation room...  It's a shame I need my eyes to see my feet on the treadmill, or I might wear a blindfold while I exercise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment