Tuesday, December 8, 2015

LENS and Life, week of 12/1

1 site today.  

Oh dear, it's December.  When did that happen?  I still feel like I'm recovering from the gift-stress of October, and now it's time for gift-stress of December.  Thankfully, the vast majority of my gift-giving this year is actually taken care of, due to Chris' foresight and some cool events coming through.  I still have to find presents for my family, though.  Well, most of my family.  I have no idea, still, what I'm supposed to get my nephew.  When he gets a bit older and starts having interests, I can buy things that apply to that, but right now he's still too young and busy learning about the world to pick a specific part of it.  At least, last I checked.

What else... well, I had a "bleagh, sugar" day yesterday.  There's a big bag of M&Ms in the apartment from before I started the sugar limitation thing.  It's several handfuls more empty now, alas for my waistline.  I'm going to do better, but I think everyone has days where they're just done with everything.

I have a few more sugary things to clear out of the apartment; the trail mix I made right before I was told it's super-sugary and bad for me, the truffles my dear friend bought me for my birthday, some Ben & Jerry's ice cream I haven't touched because I'm afraid to see how much sugar is in it, and some fruit juice. 

I'm keeping up with the smoothie each morning thing.  I've basically settled on the first recipe, which is sugar-heavy (most unfortunate, but at least it's only fructose?).  The main culprit is the banana, which is very sugary but makes the smoothie nice and thick.  However, I've decided that nothing, not even berries and bananas, can make pureed kale taste good.

My mother and a couple other people recommend making kale chips out of it, rather than putting it in a smoothie.  I'll take that into consideration next time I feel like being experimental.  In the meantime, I'm just trying to use up the kale I bought for the smoothies.  A little bit goes into every morning smoothie I make now.  Not enough to completely ruin the flavor, just enough to put a gross edge on the aftertaste.  I'll either use the stuff up, or it'll go bad.  Either way, I'll be rid of it soon.

At present I'm keeping busy with finishing the Wheel of Time series (now on book 12), playing with a couple new games on my handheld console (3DS), and watching an anime with Chris.  I'd sort've gotten out of the habit of watching anime after awhile, and new stuff keeps coming out.  It's easy to get left behind.  But Chris seems to really like watching them, and it's relatively relaxing.  Good enough, right?

Today I picked up the final pieces of my old chainmail business.  Some people can make the transition between hobby and business, but I couldn't.  It just stopped being fun.  There weren't enough colors for it to make me happy by itself, and it didn't make enough money to ever pay my rent.  Not even on the very best month I ever had.   I think speaking and writing re: autism should be different, since it's not really a hobby and more of a drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment