Friday, December 4, 2015

Article: The Invisible Women

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/10/the-invisible-women-with-autism/410806/?utm_source=SFFB

This is a lengthy, but highly informative, article showcasing the difficulties particular to autistic women.   There are four women whose lives they go into detail about, one in great depth.  All have struggled very hard with themselves and with the world around them. 

The article brings up a correlation between eating disorders and autism.  That's troubling.  I've had bulimic-esque binging tendencies, especially if I'm having a really rough day, but I don't purge like the disorder criteria state.  As such, I've always kind of assumed I've avoided that particular minefield.  In the article, Maya falls prey to anorexia, in part because of her love of numbers.  Perhaps the fact that I don't love numbers also helps?  I'm not sure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment