Friday, March 31, 2017

Taking Stock of Things, 2017 Edition

I'm revisiting my very first post this week, as a sort of then-and-now comparison piece.

I don't think, when I wrote that post, that I expected to change the world with this blog, which is probably just as well since that hasn't happened yet.  I do hope I've managed to elucidate parts of autism and what it's like to live with it.  That's perhaps a bit more difficult than I'd expected, since I've never not been autistic.

My various experiences with Puzzle Partners (autism social/activity group), Autism Support of Kent County, and Self Advocates of Michigan have taught me a bit more about people, parental experiences, and about developmental disabilities in general.  But I can tell I have much much more to learn.  Even if I had perfect recall for everything I've absorbed in the last three years, things are changing so fast that I'm afraid it wouldn't matter.  The insurance situation alone, for instance, if TrumpCare goes through, is going to be very different than it was 10 years ago.

On to the Quick Facts section!


  • 28 years old, biologically female but identifies as agender
  • graduated with a BA in psychology and a minor in information systems (business crossed with computer science)
  • married a neurotypical man (Chris) last year, and living together in a new apartment complex
  • still driving a minivan, but sadly a different one now, the old one wore out
  • no new diagnoses: still autism, dysthymia, generalized anxiety disorder, and supremely terrible detail vision.  I can now safely add sensory processing disorders, including touch, light, and sound sensitivities.
  • after a stint as a secretary, am self-employed again and doing odd jobs.  9-to-5 jobs appear to not be good for me.
  • volunteering in various autism- and developmental disability-related organizations, everything from humble data entry to board of directors
  • still conditionally vegetarian.  I found more local sources for beef and pork, though, so I can have hamburgers every now and then!

I'm going to include, for future reprises of this entry type, my current therapy regimen.  

  1. LENS- a type of passive neurofeedback, similar to tuning a radio.  Has increased my mood, energy level, and made it possible for me to smile at things, including pictures.  Was very slow to ramp up, but the effects are pretty plain to see if you knew me over that time period.
  2. Supplements- multivitamins, iron, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D, GABA (a brain chemical that settles overactive brain processes), timed/sustained release melatonin.  Most of these are because we tested my blood and they were low, but the magnesium and GABA are for calming purposes.  Has improved my sleep, energy level, and mood climate.
  3. Chiropractic Care- my neck was apparently trying to be ramrod straight, and it's supposed to have a curve.  Has all but eliminated my weekly-to-monthly tension headaches.  Hoping that it'll decrease my sensory processing disorders, but that may end up being simply a diet and exercise thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment