Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 3/28/17

Bit of a mixed bag this week, but some cool stuff happened. 

Earlyish last week one of my friends had her birthday party.  Of all the restaurants in the area, she decided she wanted to try the Melting Pot.  That's an expensive fondue restaurant, for anyone that doesn't know.  Emphasis on the expensive.  It's a good time, and fun and tasty, but yeah... you sit there for like 3 hours, if you get the 4 course meal, and the bill definitely reflects that. 

Chris and I winced a bit at the prospect, because we've been there before and know how pricey it gets, but as it turned out, we needn't have worried.  Her husband covered the bill, which I can only imagine was at least $200 for the six attendees.  (We all threw assorted 10s and 20s at him at the end "to cover the tip," though, so hopefully it wasn't quite as bank-breaking because of that.) It was a great time, though.  I'm still not really sure how it works, but some people click better than others on emotional and cognitive levels, and that tends to make them fun to be around.  Chris and I don't quite click the way the other four do, but we don't detract either, so it balanced out.  By the time the night was over, my abs hurt from laughing too much, as did my face from smiling.  That's presumably at least one definition of a fun night. 

I am rather fond of their fondue, though admittedly my own efforts to make fondue have been somewhat lacking by comparison.  It's perhaps a bit unfair to expect better of myself given that I had never before made any kind of fondue, though...  My cheese fondue came out a bit lumpy and thick, and my chocolate fondue too oily.   I'll just have to try again...

This week and last I've been noticing I have achy knees again.  I thought we'd gotten rid of that problem with the iron, but I'm still taking it and the problem is resurfacing, so that's annoying.  I keep forgetting to mention it to the doctor, and I have yet to get my blood tested again to see if my iron levels have come up, so it's a mystery for now.  An annoying mystery.  Grr. 

Fortunately my knees don't hurt all the time, because Pokemon GO has an event going on called the Water Festival.  Basically certain types of Pokemon (ones associated with water, so lots of fish, starfish, octopi, tadpoles, etc) are much more available right now.  So since I play, Chris plays, and another friend of ours plays, we all hopped in the car and went downtown, where there's a river, so we could go walking and Pokemon hunting together. 

It turned out to be a very profitable venture!  We happened across two different "nests" or regular spawn points for Pokemon we needed.  These are relatively common in the game, often located in parks, but finding one that matches to a Pokemon you need is a little harder.  So it was kind of awesome, just walking back and forth and catching these normally impossible to find Pokemon everywhere.  We also used a tracking service to locate a really good fish Pokemon we needed, and to finally get me a Loch Ness Monster-like Pokemon I'd tried repeatedly and failed to get. 

I did not, however, manage to do any of the volunteer work I mentioned wanting to do last week, so that's probably going to happen today, all at once.  At this point I really don't have many excuses left, and while the person hasn't said anything, I'm sure she'd be happiest if I did them all ASAP.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment