Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 3/14/17

Another month has gone by.  Chris and I celebrate each month we've been dating/married with a small something or other.  Sometimes it's just treating ourselves to a dinner out together.  Sometimes we buy each other little presents.  This month I replaced Chris' failing car charger and made him a coupon booklet for things he'd like around the house or in our life in general.  I tried to make them a little more interesting by drawing on them, and he graciously did not comment on the poor quality of the art, which was nice.  He got me a gift card to the app store for my tablet, which he suggested I use on Pokemon GO to enhance my enjoyment of the game by buying various upgrades.   I did, and it was nice. Naturally the game is down right now for some reason, but that annoying fact won't stop it from being useful in the future.

In sleep news, I woke up at 5:15am early last week, wide awake and thoroughly annoyed.  I got up after a bit, dealt with what was bothering me, took GABA like my mother does, and promptly slept for another four hours.  I'm not sure what to make of that, to be perfectly honest.  I tried it again the next day and it didn't work quite as well, but I may also just not have had as bad of a sleep deficit. 

Part of the reason that I'm not sure what to make of it is that my LENS-doctor kind of gave me crap this week about my sleep.  I kind of got the sense that she no longer thought there was anything particular wrong with it beyond the "diet, exercise, sleep hygiene" sphere, and that unless I was prepared to immediately vow to change all that immediately and severely, I was wasting her time.  That's an unusual impression to get from her, so I'm guessing perhaps she was having a really bad day.  Still stung, though, and has me second-guessing my supplements routine and my attempts at a better diet and more exercise. 

In distinctly less fun news, we had a power outage last week that lasted about 36 hours.  There was a really big windstorm, which knocked out power in places all over the state, including my apartment complex.  While most places in the city proper had power back before the end of the day, our particular little area had a small number of people affected, and so was low on the priority list.  As such, I ended up having to sort the refrigerator, tossing out spoiled things, and throwing the rest into the freezer. 

Naturally, I wasn't home when the power came back on, which meant my herbs froze solid.  About a quarter of them were still usable, which was barely enough for dinner, albeit a lesser version I don't like as much. 

Finally, the weekend was dominated by a baby shower for a friend of mine.  She lives across the state, sadly, which meant we spent a lot of the day driving.  I think that was technically the very first baby shower I've been to.  It was... um... loud.  There were three babies in attendance, never mind the adult attendees.  I did get to catch up with a few friends I don't see often, which was nice.  But it ended up being 4+ hours of driving for a 3 hour party.  It could have been longer, but my head and anxiety couldn't stand the thought of being near any more noise and people.  I missed out on a gaming-and-friend-time afterparty, I think.  I felt lame ducking out, but a person needs to know their limitations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment