Tuesday, July 19, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 7/19/16

No sites yet this week, because the doctor is still on vacation.  She'll be back tomorrow, so I'll get to go and do LENS then.  Today, though, I get to sulk about my computer game being down for six hours, while my tablet is broken so I can't play Pokemon GO. 

I did manage to stop by the doctor's office and grab some Vitamin D supplements, because with a broken tablet I'm certainly not going for 2 hour walks in 90 degree weather.  They're befuddling supplements.  They're the exact same size as the ones I was taking, but apparently have twice as much Vitamin D.  Go figure, I guess.  Anyway, I imagine my bloodstream levels are normalizing by now, but it won't hurt to keep up the good work.  I can't really know for sure without getting another  blood test. 

I'm... still sick.  It's definitely the tail end of the illness, but that tail end is making a nuisance of itself.  Still coughing crap out of my lungs.  If it hangs around for another week, I'll call the doctor, but right now it's still within the "two weeks" thing my grandfather joked about.  He said, regarding colds, that they'll last you two weeks, unless you take medicine.  Then they'll only last you 14 days. 

I did make it to Lansing, but I was a day late.  Instead, I languished in bed until a church event regarding gay marriage and homosexuality occurred, wherein I kinda felt like I made an idiot of myself because I cried at the microphone a lot when I spoke.  Perhaps it's a throwback to my childhood, where all emotions were bad and I was only succeeding if I could keep my cool, but I feel really stupid when I get emotional.  It's an inconvenience to me at best, and downright detrimental otherwise.  I mean, don't get me wrong, there are a lot of reasons to cry about the issue, such as people acquiring depression and anxiety over it, committing suicide because of the intolerance and cruelty they have to live with, people being thrown out of their parents' houses and subsequently becoming homeless...  But I try to be calm and support my opinions with facts, and I... mostly just kind of sat up there and cried about my friends and the fact that the Synod is terrible. 

But, uh, literally nobody else agreed with my assessment of that speech.  Granted a few of the folks had biases because they knew me, but several really didn't.  So, now I'm all confused and uneasy about that.  I guess to be fair to me, I was already pretty sick, upset, and tired, and highly frustrated with the whole situation, so maybe being emotional is understandable.  it just... makes me uneasy.  I guess because usually my head's pretty good at assessment, but it's failing something awful here.  People told me that the emotion was good, that it humanized the problem.  Made it more real.  I...I guess I'm not used to that.  If I'm going to be a decent speaker (and let's be real, if my tear ducts continue to act the way they have my entire life- reacting to any strong emotion with tears), I'm going to need to understand how and when sobbing at a microphone is appropriate.  And maybe I could learn, in the process, how to simultaneously talk and think about something that really upsets me without losing it.  But I've been trying to do that for years at this point...

Anyway, after the fiasco/success that was that event, I went home and went to bed early, because I had to be in Lansing at 8am and it's an hour drive.  I don't think waking up before 7 should be legal.  It's barbaric and should be treated as such.  But I did make it there ontime, and proceeded to survive the remainder of the board meeting.  I may have pointedly not taken cough syrup so it was obvious I was still sick.  But I tried not to cough while someone was speaking, too much. 

All was more or less quiet until Friday last week, when I managed to take out my keyboard and my beloved tablet in one fell swoop.  I was playing Pokemon GO at my desk, because you can sometimes catch Pokemon right outside your home, and I was slightly too vigorous in my wrist flick to toss a Pokeball.  So my full glass of water overturned onto my desk, which included my keyboard.  In the process of flailing about the water and the glass and my keyboard, I accidentally whacked my tablet to the floor, where it bounced... and promptly broke.  So y'know, yayyy...

So that's been in the shop for repairs.  It'll probably be fixed by the end of this week, but in the meantime I'm tethered to the apartment.  Chris has a spare tablet, but it doesn't have a data plan.  So I can sort've do the Pokemon part of Pokemon GO, but I definitely can't do the GO part because if I get out of reach of the wifi, I can't play. 

I guess it's not the most horrible timing ever, but it's still frustrating.  The game is currently having connectivity issues and one of the major features (a tracking system that helps you find the Pokemon) is broken.  But still, I could be out there walking and having fun catching Pokemon with Chris.  Instead, he's having to play alone, and not often at that.  In the meantime, a huge community has sprung up around the game.  Pokemon is seen as a kid's game, but the vast majority of the players of Pokemon GO are adults.  So they've been mapping the game, spooling out tons of content and events, and sharing all the information they come across.  It's really quite impressive. If I'm really lucky, I can rejoin the festivities sooner than Friday... 

No comments:

Post a Comment