Wednesday, October 14, 2015

LENS and Life, week of 10/6

One site today.

Well, the weekend was exhausting.  Not really surprising.  I love my family and they're pretty low key, but my grandmother is not improving and my little nephew has a cold.  Unfortunately that made him a little fussier and squeakier than he would've been otherwise, neither of which was helpful for stabilizing me.

I probably could've helped myself a bit by finding a place to go hide for a time now and then, but I see my family so seldom that it didn't really occur to me.  Once or twice a year is about the standard, unless it's my other grandmother.  She lives around here, so it's a little easier to visit.

Everyone in the family, practically, was taking pictures of my nephew and everyone else interacting with him.  After being bemused by that for awhile, I realized that while I absolutely still don't like pictures, we may not have my grandma around that long, and my nephew will never be this small again.  So I took a few videos with my new tablet.  (That would've been a useless gesture with my old iPad, but this tablet's camera is of sufficient quality that the result is passable.  Yay.  Much better than still pictures, in my opinion.)

I got to hold my nephew for a very short time.  I don't really know what to do with babies, so I basically just put out my arms and held very still.  If you hold very still, nothing can go wrong, right?  He didn't start crying, anyway, and I think people got some blackmail material, so that's all fine and well.

I ended up driving back late Saturday so I could sleep in my own bed, in my relatively quiet apartment rather than in the tiny cold bedroom above a blaring TV.  I got back home about two hours after my bedtime and was exhausted all the next day, but I still think it was worth it.  Now to survive the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment