Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 8/14/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

This week, I am viciously itchy.  I seem to have developed a skin rash due to my new maca root supplement, which... it's in the list of possible side effects, but I'm very displeased all the same.  There's probably a person out there that enjoys being itchy, but that person is definitely not me.  I've banned myself from itching with my fingernails, but I can't help but itch, so I'm using my knuckles.  Life is about making compromises you can mostly live with, right?

I'll be seeing my doctor tomorrow, so she'll probably get an earful on the subject.  I'm still really hoping there's some way to make this work that doesn't involve spending even more money or returning the product...  I've already halved the dosage twice over the course of the week, which you'd think would be enough... but likely I simply don't know enough about chemical interactions.  Which is what my doctor is for!

Anyway, I'm making the best of the situation.  Hydrocortisone cream seems to help with the itching somewhat, but it's not a permanent solution by any stretch.  And honestly, the whole red and white speckled itchy skin isn't really a good look for me.  Or anyone.  So hopefully the situation can be resolved fairly quickly and easily.  

In the meantime, I seem to be sleeping a little better.  Still haven't gotten the bed moved, though.  I'm going to blame family hubbub and such for that.  We missed one set of aunt and uncle due to life things, but caught the other for a few relatively relaxing days.  I say relatively, because being out of my comfort zone isn't precisely relaxing.  Still, getting to go kayaking and spending time with them was pleasant, and I even managed to avoid popping the blisters I got from the kayaking.  Thus they healed up exceedingly fast and didn't trouble me after the first day.  

I do have further evidence towards the high histamine theory now.  I have, in the past, really enjoyed kayaking.  This time?  I was actually pretty miserable.  The conditions were fantastic: just barely a wind to keep the bugs away, calm water, warm but not too hot.  But once I got out there and put my arms to work... miserable.  It wasn't exactly like I was struggling to breathe, but it kind of reminded me of my experience with the cold, where I just... wasn't getting enough oxygen, and it affected my mood.  

Adding to this was the sure knowledge that I'd eaten two relevant foods in good quantities: spinach (high histamine) and tomatoes (either high histamine or histamine liberator, depending on which source you ask).  So that was valuable to note.  The plan now is to get my bike fixed (it's slipping gears and basically unusable), and then try biking more vigorously and steadily than usual.  Then I'll do that again with a big dose of vitamin C powder-infused water, and compare the two experiences.  

This plan does rely on me managing to get my bike loaded into my van, driving over to a new bike store, walking in, and demanding they use an aftermarket part to repair my bike, which...  so far hasn't gone well.  But I'm almost getting ahead on this blog, so maybe I can pony up the energy soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment