Friday, August 23, 2019

Book Review: Reframe Your Thinking Around Autism

Reframe You Thinking Around Autism: How the Polyvagel Theory and Brain Plasticity Help Us Make Sense of Autism, by Holly Bridges, is a very short (100 page) explanation of a new theory about autism.  It features easy-to-digest language, small doodle-like pictures for illustration, and small quotations/poetry interspersed throughout.

For a book devoted to explaining a scientific theory, it's remarkably readable.  It's meant to be, of course.  The entire point of the book is to explain, in layperson's terms, how a scientific theory (Polyvagel Theory) and a specific type of therapy (Anat Baniel Method) combine to form a complete understanding of autism and a path forward to helping an autistic person learn to thrive.  It's an explanation that doesn't rely on specific genetic markers, air pollution, or really any single "cause" for autism.  But it does offer paths forward for autistic people and their families.

I won't summarize the theory here, as that's the whole point of the book and it does it better than I would, but I do think the theory has merit.  I'm not 100% sure it applies to every single person on the spectrum, but it very well could.  In particular, I found the explanation meshed well with some descriptions in "my life with autism" books I've read, such as The Reason I Jump and Knowing Why.  It could even explain John Elder Robison's experience in Switched On.  In truth, my own improvements with LENS might be explained by this theory.

I don't have any major "yes, this is exactly right!" experiences that go with this book and the theory it espouses, but as I'm considered "better at camouflage," or "high functioning" (ugh), it might be safe to say I'd be less affected by the systemic interference the theory suggests is the real reason for autistic behavior.  Or I might just be being characteristically dense and missing something that'd be obvious to someone more acquainted with the theory.  It's very much a fish in water being asked what "wet" feels like, in some cases.

The book has an interesting take on the whole "autistic people rub neurotypical people the wrong way" phenomenon, which I appreciated.  I tend to have a very negative way of thinking about the whole thing, but the author wasn't quite so cynical, and it helps to see the interaction in multiple ways.  So that's a highlight I found useful. 

It wasn't a perfect book.  I'm not sure I've yet read a book I didn't have at least some minor disagreement with.  The author makes generalizations about autistic people and our development and preferences that I can pretty much guarantee aren't going to be true 100% of the time.  It's just a matter of people being all different, even within a single category ("autistic people," "black people," "Australian people").

I was also thrown for a loop by the use of the word "autist" for "autistic person" but the author's Australian, so that may just be the lingo there.  It's not particularly offensive, I just wasn't particularly expecting it, so it stuck out.

Read This Book If

You want to understand the autism spectrum better, and have a possible explanation and a way forward for yourself or your autistic loved one.  This book strikes me as particularly insightful in terms of "lower functioning" autistic people, particularly ones with motor and sensory difficulties, but in all honesty, it may well apply to any and all of us.  Including me.  As such, parents, teachers, educators, professionals, and especially fellow autistics, might find this book and its theory edifying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment