Friday, February 1, 2019

Worth Your Read: The Last Straw

https://miatblog.org/2019/01/the-last-straw/

I don't often do a lot of discussion in regards to physical disabilities.  This is because I don't, at this point in my life, have any.  That makes me a less effective advocate for issues like these, and so I usually simply point people to better advocates on the subjects (such as the above article).

As I age, my health situation will likely change, and perhaps I'll be able to advocate more personally.  However, my current lack of physically expressed disabilities isn't necessarily the norm for autistic adults.  Or even autistic children.  So this merits the signal boost and whatever limited insight I can offer.

It's a bit of a case of "better late than never," in all honesty (the straw debate debuted in 2018), but if nothing else, I hope it'll shed a bit of light on the subject.

Cerebral Palsy (CP) sometimes accompanies autism.  So does epilepsy.  Sometimes multiple sclerosis as well.  But even something as simple as deficits in gross and/or fine motor skills (very common with autism) can make a plastic straw from a luxury into a necessity.

Ever gotten water into your lungs?  Like, you swallowed the wrong way and some got down the wrong pipe?  And though you coughed and hacked for minutes, you still felt like there was stuff dripping into your lungs?  I have.  It's not common for me, but it's very unpleasant.  Also, apparently, it can absolutely kill you, thanks to pneumonia.

Imagine having to have that feeling of liquid in your lungs every time you tried to have a drink.  Also, your hands shake, so you're always spilling on yourself.  Your clothes will frequently smell like pop, or tea, or whatever drink you happen to have.  They'll develop stains, which people will see and become judgmental about.

You can avoid all of that with a simple plastic straw.

The author here knows more about the subject than I do.  But I'd add my voice to hers: if you care about "being green," advocate for compostable takeout containers.  Or start recycling their packing waste and food waste.  Or you, personally, help fund your local recycling center so they can recycle more stuff.  Maybe don't personally use plastic straws if you don't need them, too, but do these other things.  They are by far better ways to help the environment than simply taking away assistive technology.  

No comments:

Post a Comment