Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 2/27/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

Thankfully this week contained no doom headaches.  It did contain a lot of bleh feelings, including dizziness and tiredness.  I'm not really sure why, but later today I'll be seeing my doctor, so hopefully I can get some answers.  It might be related to the fish oil I started taking?  Or not.  I really have no idea.  

I was so dizzy and faint in church on Sunday that I actually just stopped singing entirely, lest I actually pass out for the first time in my life.  I've also just felt low energy and tired a lot.  Definitely not ideal.  I'd been having this issue, or something very like it, about a month ago.  So not new, exactly.  

Perhaps the lightbox I mentioned a few weeks back will help.  I was told to stop using that last time I saw my doctor, as I think I might've been overexposed to it.  But it'll have been two weeks as of today, so maybe whatever was wrong is out of my system and I can start using it again.  We'll see!

I did manage to finish pet-sitting for my friends without damaging the bird or my furniture.  Their bird is a fully-flighted Pionus parrot, and very used to being out of her cage more often than not.  Because of this, we made some minor modifications to the lower level of my house to accommodate the visiting parrot, giving her the ability to fly safely around two of the rooms there.  She was a handful, but I do like animals, and it's always an interesting experience to take care of others' animals.  When I was younger, pet-sitting and volunteer experiences were my only ways of spending time with critters that weren't either my pet snake or gerbils.  

Slightly related to pets, but not entirely, I was linked to a video about loneliness recently.  I don't think I'll make a Friday post about it, but considering the isolation that autistic people often experience (also autism parents), it seems highly relevant.  It has some interesting things to say about the biological underpinnings of loneliness, and our current age.  I rarely have the patience to sit through an online video, so the fact I did sit through this one and am even recommending it... definitely give it a watch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment