Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Legwork and Life, week of 2/6/19

This is Legwork and Life, where I track the legwork and opportunities in my career as an autistic advocate, and also describe parts of my adult autistic life, including my perspectives on everyday problems and situations.

I am hopefully going to be more awake each day from now on.  A couple weeks ago I mentioned I'd borrowed a light box thing from my doctor.  I complained of being painfully awake.  Turns out I'd been using it for too long.  (How 20 minutes per day can be too long, God only knows.)  But it did have an appreciable effect, so I got the least expensive version to have around the house.  

Meet the Tiny Doom-Light.

Barely taller than my hand, but has all the attitude of the larger light!
So I'll experiment with this a little bit.  It's possible that as little as 5 minutes a day will be sufficient to elbow my circadian rhythm back into proper order.  For most people, 5 minutes would be nothing, but my system is apparently obnoxiously oversensitive.  It's like that about sugar and other things, too.  

Likely this will become one of the many coping tools I have around the house, adding onto my gatorade substitute, my supplements, my exercise bike, my leg pillows, my earplugs, and my grounding mats.  So many things to keep one person relatively balanced.  It's kind of disheartening, when you consider I only just turned 30.  

I'm feeling a little more overwhelmed and low-energy than usual this week due to health-related developments in my grandmother.  She's been in and out of the hospital due to various things.  At present she seems to be on the road to recovery, with no further hiccups anticipated.  So that's good.  Because she's important to me, I've taken time out of my week to go to the various places she's been recovering to visit, sometimes with my mom, sometimes not.  It's been an educational experience, which I may explain in more detail later.  It's not the cheeriest subject, I'm afraid.  

For the time being, I'll just say that she's my very last grandparent, including Chris' relatives, and while our relationship has certainly had bumps, I love her very much and hope for the best for her.  I spent time visiting I'd have otherwise spent working on this blog and handling chores, but it was time well-spent.  I'm glad to see the piles of snow I mentioned last week on the retreat.  It should make it easier to visit in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment