Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 5/2/17

I'm not sure I'd call much of last week relaxing, but it had its moments.

My back problems may be starting to taper off.  I hope.   I've been back to my normal pillow for over a week at this point, but my back muscles haven't quite forgiven me for messing with them, I guess.  I've been waking up with a sore back, right-middle side.  It's definitely muscular soreness, and it makes trying to sleep in impossible.  Good thing I don't get to sleep in much!  Yesterday morning, though, I woke up with minimal soreness, and so hopefully that trend will continue. 

Last weekend Chris and I went out to a local cultural spot and bar, Founders, with two of our friends and a visiting European friend of theirs.  Bars aren't usually Chris' and my idea of a fun time, but I do, on the whole, get a kick out of ordering a beer flight, which is basically a sampler of four beers.  You pay about 1.5 times what you would for a single beer, but you get to try four different kinds in smaller quantities.  Since I do not, as a whole, enjoy most kinds of beer, and there are so many kinds, it behooves me to try as many as possible in tiny portions.  Therefore, beer flight! 

I ended up trying three fruit-type things and a porter.  I was actually surprised, I liked all three fruit-types.  There was a raspberry ale that was particularly nice, almost as sweet and tasty as the wine coolers we stock at home.  Another one almost tasted like hard cider.  The last was fruity but also seriously chocolatey.  Usually I'm very disappointed with beers that claim they've got chocolate in them.  This one was a very impressive exception.  The porter was pretty much just a porter.  Sadly not my favorite, but I kind of panicked and didn't have time to choose a fourth option properly. 

It was cool to meet Eva, their friend, too.  It kind of seemed like a bar wasn't really her ideal setting either, by some things she said, but she clearly wanted to check out the local culture.  I guess she's very well traveled, especially for someone our age.  In any case, she was fun to talk to.  She plays video games, like Chris and me, but favors much more story-heavy games.  So games like the Stanley Parable, and like Riven and Myst from the old days.  Anyway, I wore one earplug unfashionably in the bar and chatted with everyone and drank beer, so it was a successful evening.

Sunday was a lot more lazy of a day than it would be normally.  We went to church, as usual, but normally after that we go off to play D&D for 4+ hours.  It was canceled today due to our host having unexpected complications in his life, so instead Chris and I went home.  We proceeded to basically nap for 4 hours, which I was sure was going to mess up my sleep schedule.  Thankfully it did not, and that napping session is about as relaxed as I've been for the last year or three.  That probably tells me that I ought to either get higher doses of anti-anxiety supplements or cut some complications out of my life...

And last but not least, today is my spouse's birthday.  Happy birthday, Chris!  I have some things in mind for celebrating, but since he kindly proofreads this blog, I can't write them out or they won't be a surprise at all.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment