Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 5/30/17


Meet my new tablet, safely tucked into its protective casing.  That casing at least triples the width of the tablet, and gives it a number of easily-grippable surfaces as well as a decidedly non-slip surface.  It's made of food-grade silicon, which is apparently both durable and extremely washable.  I have yet to test it thoroughly, as I've not yet dropped this tablet, but I'm sure it'll happen any day now.  The brand is BobjGear, if you're interested in one for your own smart devices or one for your kid's.

I am, at this point, adjusting to using this new tablet.  It has far less screen space than my old tablet, but that is also likely why it was so much cheaper.  It's different enough in interface that it took me this long to get used to it, but not so different than it's been an ordeal to figure it out.  And naturally, the wonders of technology have lent themselves to making it easier.  Rather than having to make a list of the apps I'd had on my old tablet, and praying that they'd still be available on this new one, Google simply tracks all that information and made it available to me on any device I sign into.  I find that both highly useful and more than a little unsettling.

The convenience is fortunate at this time, though, because I'm struggling with being the chair of a committee for the Self Advocates of Michigan.  So far, the position has mostly involved what feels like herding cats.  Schedules just aren't lining up and I end up feeling rather unappreciated and frustrated.  I put in my best efforts and all I seem to get is... apathy, I guess?  So far, the committee of four feels like a committee of two, and the other person is also on another committee and his life went into high gear lately, which makes him not so available.  In the meantime, I have an additional website to keep updated and no help is forthcoming.  I'm really tempted to just tell the rest of the committee that I made the site, it's their job to keep it running...  but I suspect that would be irresponsible. 


At least this last weekend has been fairly quiet.  It was a long weekend, due to Memorial Day.  It was more of a schedule change for Chris than it was for me, I guess, but it was nice to sleep in a bit with him.  We did go out hunting Pokemon on Saturday a bit as well, bagging four rare Pokemon and some other spare, not-so-rare things.  We also visited one of my friends, who has just had her firstborn more than two weeks early.  The baby shower is not 'til this next weekend, but we brought a Costco-sized box of diapers along with ourselves.  It seemed like the thing to do, since she's going to need a lot of those... 

No comments:

Post a Comment