Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 1/17/17

I can't say I've made much progress forward last week, but I have, at least, not made progress backwards. 

I'm adding a To Do list app to my life this week.  Between my memory slipping and the plague of responsibilities being an adult visits upon you, I've been very overstressed and wound up.  I've tried various To Do list type things before, but not the kind you can share with other people.  Since Chris and I have chores around the apartment, it makes sense to make them accessible to both of us.  It also keeps us accountable for the various things we signed up to do.  I've been absolutely awful about cleaning the bathtub, for instance, and he's forgotten to vacuum the floor more than once.  With the app, it should be possible to see what we've forgotten.  Hopefully, no actual verbal reminders will be necessary for either of us. 

The app is called Todoist, and apparently won various awards, which was why I picked it over the 10 seemingly identical search results.  It allows color-coded categorization of tasks ("Chores," "Personal," "Books to Read," etc.  It also allows you to assign people to tasks.  One of the first things I did with the app was reference my chore sheet and make myself responsible for all of them.  There are options to make tasks repeating, so I won't need to enter "clean bathroom sink and mirror" every week. 

This is all valuable for my peace of mind, but what's most valuable, I think, is the ability to put down things I need to not forget, and have it remind me about them in a week or so.  Examples of this are things like "Follow up on voicemail message from 1/10" or "pick up more magnesium."  I was somewhat surprised by the "Books to Read" example category they started you out with, for example. After some thought, I changed it to "Recommended Media," so I could list music, books, movies, YouTube series, etc.  I don't get a whole lot of recommendations, but I bet I'd get more if I had a way to keep them, and then actually asked.  My trouble has been that when asked (and sometimes not asked), people like to spout off their recommendations before I have time to write them down, or even locate an acceptable pen or notepad app.  Hopefully, I'll have a much faster response time to, "Hey, did you watch ____?  No?  Oh man, it's the best!  And you should also watch _______..." 

Another added bonus will be the ability to set hanging reminders to say hi to people.  It is expected, apparently, in neurotypical circles, to occasionally say hello to people you care about and ask how things are going.  I'm... rather unreliable about such things, because I don't remember to do so.  It's not natural to me.  I tend to assume that if I know you, and something happens to you, you'll let me know if it's relevant.  If everyone did it that way, all would be well.  Unfortunately, my mode of thinking is not at all the norm, and that is very unfortunate for me and people I know. Fortunately, things may now improve as I now have the ability to set a reoccurring reminder to say hello.  So, fingers crossed that this improves things overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment