Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 1/10/17

I may be biased because it's first thing in the morning, but I'm beginning to despair of ever sleeping properly.  If I'm getting at least 8 hours of sleep, it's disjointed sleep full of nightmares and things that trouble me upon waking.  And if I'm not, well, I'm not getting enough sleep.  I don't have the alarming (but quite understandably sleep-interrupting) tendency to stop breathing to blame.  So something else is up, but trying to find it appears to be similar to trying to find a needle in a haystack. (No, I don't have a handy magnet, any readers who proceeded to recognize that easy solution to the hypothetical problem.)

Actually, the metaphor is apt in another sense.  Hay is scratchy, and needles are pointy.  It would be a rather unpleasant task for someone like me, with soft hands, to sort through an entire haystack.  I presume it's doable, and I'd at least have the bonus of my overactive sense of hearing to hear the needle hit the floor while shaking each handful of hay... 

Anyway...  I seem to be slowly recovering from the transitional shock of wedding + honeymoon + Christmas + suddenly all the responsibilities again.  My LENS-doctor quite rightly points out that it's a little unfair to expect yourself to immediately hop right back in, but I'd kind of expected to be a bit more on top of things...  She makes an example of college students, who often drive themselves to exhaustion at finals time.  They do it all and finish everything, but when they get home, they sleep for three days straight and get sick to boot.  If you push your body to its limits, it usually comes back to bite you later, basically. 

It's an apt enough comparison, but instead of finals, which usually span two weeks at most, my particular ordeal spanned more like three months, with less fevered intensity and more chronic anxiety.  The not being able to sleep properly is just crap icing on the crap cake. 

I haven't managed a buffer on this blog yet, but if I can get the book for this Friday read, or feed a decent idea into a post earlier this week, I'll count it a victory.  I'll take small progress over no progress, and given that I've just changed up my supplements routine again, any victories are good. 

I've just added enzymes to my diet, following after the ideas espoused in the Un-Prescription for Autism.  (Eugh, that title still irks me.)  I mentioned in that review that I was planning on starting a broadbase enzyme in case faulty digestion is responsible in part or in whole for my various problems. 

Thus far, the problem is that I keep forgetting I need to take it.  Enzymes need to be taken with the first bite of food to be most effective.  Unfortunately, they also need to be kept in the refrigerator.  These two things often combine to me sitting down to a meal, taking several leisurely bites, cursing, and rushing off to the refrigerator to grab the enzymes.  I will hopefully improve as the days go by, and upgrade to sitting down to a meal, taking one bite, cursing, and rushing off to the refrigerator...

No comments:

Post a Comment