Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 1/24/17

"Exhausting" is probably the word for the last seven days.  I was extra social due to my reminders and the visits and social events that came of them, which didn't leave me as much time to work on the blog and my side project "fun" as I'd hoped.  I read in various books that I'll be sorry if I simply hermit myself away in my apartment, and not just because I'll hurt the feelings of people I care about, but sometimes I do wonder...

Actually, the main problem was likely not related to my friends, it was the trip down to Lansing to spend 5+ hours sitting through a meeting.  I volunteer as a board member of a state self-advocacy entity (working name: Self Advocates of Michigan), and unfortunately every other month or so, meetings in person are required.  I can't really fault them, more seems to get done in person than via webinar/call in, but.  5 HOUR meeting.  And an extra hour and some tacked onto each end, because state regulations won't pay for a hotel room for me beforehand and I don't like sharing a room.  In the end, it kinda wipes out an entire day. So probably, if that hadn't happened, I'd feel more ahead on things.

As it stands, though, I'm not doing awfully...  I have what might become a buffer, if I'm very industrious prior to this Friday.  I have to drive out to Lansing again on Thursday for a similar thing, though, so, uh, maybe I should try to frontload my work this week...

I had an interesting (but unfortunate) experience yesterday.  I went to breakfast with a friend, and had a nice chat.  But I'd ordered something seemingly innocuous (french toast), which I figured wouldn't be too calorie-intensive.  It came out soaked in canned cherries (fresh ones not being available right now), topped with powdered sugar and cream cheese icing, and enormous to boot.  It was delicious, and I abhor wasting food, so I ate all of it, but the sweetness was overwhelming by the end of it.  I still made it through the meal and the chat with the friend just fine, but I felt kind of awful on the way home, and even worse an hour or so afterwards.  I wasn't sick to my stomach for very long, but my brain did spin in anxious corkscrews for the rest of the day.

It's not that I really need more reasons to avoid sugar, but it's hard to convince myself fully that sugar is awful for me, both physically and psychologically.  I recognize the basic science behind the theory, but it has to compete with the fact that throughout my life, food has been the only predictably good thing.  So we'll call this a piece of evidence against excess, at the very least.  I usually don't binge sugar any more, and this was more of an accidental binge, but it's a good reminder warning.

Maybe I'll bake some cookies sweetened with monk fruit or something, so I can still sulk about life being mean to me with food.

In other news, ToDoist is working out pretty well, though I do now have a wishlist for functionality.  I'm not sure the system allows for "every other day" or "every other week" type repeating events, for example.  I could also use something that sets an increased priority on tasks that are overdue.  It does automatically list them as overdue, in a separate section, but I feel like if something is overdue four days, it should probably get priority over something that's overdue by one day.  And I should probably put those requests on the app's listing if I want them to happen.

I still feel kind of overwhelmed with stuff to do, but that's at least in part because I'm pushing myself hard on the blog front and socially.  Hopefully when the buffer has a couple weeks on it, I can relax a bit and just do a single entry a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment