Tuesday, May 3, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 5/3/16

One site last week.  I spent the majority of the appointment kvetching about things that upset and bothered me, but I did notice the LENS made me very sleepy.  As in, I couldn't stop yawning for about 15 minutes.  It was pretty silly.  In most cases, that's about the most dramatic side effects I get, thankfully.

Last weekend Chris and I drove across the state to a suburb of Detroit (2.5 hours in normal traffic) to see my grandma (Dad's mom, not Mom's mom who just had the birthday celebrations).  She's... on her way out.  We're not really sure how long, but the doctors apparently thought not too long.  So we went to visit her, lest we not see her again.  In truth, I don't have a lot of memories of her when she was much younger, but other than my uncle who lives right nearby, I'm locationally the closest of my family.  And of all of us, I'm basically the only one who can make a day trip of visiting.

It's kind of hard to see someone you love that close to death.  As people age, stuff in their bodies just kind've shuts down, a little at a time.  Though as my knees prove, you needn't be in the 40+ club.  I've had painful knees since I was a pre-teen.  I think the doctors said it was just growing pains, but it never really went away.  At least you can't hear my ankles clicking all the way up and down the stairs anymore.

In any case, my grandma was having a fairly good day when we visited.  She held a conversation pretty well, and enjoyed the flowers we'd brought her.  She likes white roses, so we figured those would be a nice addition to her room.  I'd also brought some crafting supplies; I've been procrastinating on trying to make stems for the origami flowers at my wedding.  And I figured that'd be more interesting to watch than me staring at my tablet (reading manga).  So I brought a large spool of wire, wire cutters, origami paper, and floral tape.  The first few flowers were unspeakably clumsy, but I think I have a better idea of what to do now.  Alas, I have no pictures to show, because my grandma liked the flowers so much, I left them there for her.  The roses we brought will wilt and die in a week or so, but the origami flowers will last quite awhile longer.

In a couple days, I have to travel again.  This time to Lansing, for an overnight stay.  I was recently accepted as a board member of a self advocate group, and it looks like they're going to train us and get us acquainted.  I'm understandably kind of nervous.  I have no idea how many people ended up on the board, and I'll be sharing a room (which I dislike doing).  In addition, the training will take basically an entire day and a half.  That's an awful lot of people time, which seems odd given that everyone on the board is disabled in some fashion.  It seems strange to expect us to survive an 8 hour day full of strangers, sleep in a strange place, and then do another 4 hours...  But maybe it won't be quite that harsh.

I'm worried, but there's not much I can do about it.  Maybe I'll learn some useful things there, and the training will be relatively relaxed despite the apparent schedule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment