Tuesday, May 10, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 5/10/16

One site last week, no sites yet this week. 

I started writing about my trip to Lansing last Thursday and Friday, but after several hours and a lot of paragraphs, I realized I was writing a Friday entry, not a LENS and Life entry.  So I'll have to find something else to write about for today. 

I'm trying to be a little more social despite my stress and worry.  That's rather difficult, but it's gotten a little easier since a friend of mine from college got back from Thailand.  She's pretty easy to get along with, and since she likes anime, Chris and I have been having her over to watch a couple shows we like.  In addition to the hang out time, it's been an excuse to have food of some kind planned. 

I'd been trying to do meal plans, but sometimes it's really hard to juggle "what haven't we eaten yet?" with leftovers.  In addition, I've really, really been dropping the ball on grocery shopping.  We'll go to cook something I'd swear we have all the ingredients for, but then we're missing at least two essential ones because I didn't actually check. 

Speaking of my deteriorating memory...  I need to get a doctor's appointment at my not-LENS, regular doctor.  My LENS-doctor has asked I get a series of blood tests, so we can try to figure out why I'm still really not losing weight, and indeed why I can't lose weight merely by counting calories and exercising.  Apparently that does, by itself, actually speak for a gland-issue.  The low-sugar diet I've been trying has only limited results, which is depressing.  So other than acquiring my mother's accidental solution, and then having to avoid many kinds of foods for years, I'm stuck being overweight.  Unless we can figure out something with my glands or other innards.  Here's hoping. 

In happier news, a couple days ago I got to go to the symphony!  A friend of mine managed to get tickets through his volunteer-work place, and like a generous person, he invited Chris and me along.  So we got to hear about two and a half hours of live music, themed around the composer John Williams.  If you're not familiar with the name, he did music for movies such as Star Wars, Harry Potter, Superman, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, and Memoirs of a Geisha.  Needless to say, he's a pretty good composer.  The orchestra was in fine form, so it was an excellent experience. 

It was made more excellent by the appearance of the 501st Legion.  In very brief: people that dress up as Imperial Stormtroopers and other Imperial characters from Star Wars, for charity and other nonprofit causes.  These folks put absolutely backbreaking work into their costumes, and I am terribly impressed with their dedication and generosity.  So five of those hardworking souls came out for this concert, including a fully-specced Darth Vader.  Right down to the breathing noises, little flashy lights on the torso thing, and everything.  People loved it, and there were tons of pictures taken with him and the other outfits.  My Star Wars-fu is lacking, but Chris said there was a Scout Trooper and a TIE Fighter pilot in attendance.  The concert actually worked the 501st Legion members into the concert, by having the conductor "forget" his music for the Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme).  So Darth Vader himself walked on stage, handed him the music, and force-choked him a bit for his forgetfulness.  But not fatally!  It was pretty entertaining. 

Despite my earplugs, I did manage to get a nasty headache by the end of it.  The music was pretty loud.  I could feel the pain spiking and pulsing with the high notes and flourishes in the last song. Thankfully it went away once I got out of the performance hall and outside.  I should've offered everyone earplugs.  Normally it's just me that needs them at movies or other occasions, but one of the other people we went with might've needed them too.  And this was definitely louder than usual, since Chris took a pair of earplugs as well.  Oh well.  Live and learn. 

In all, it was a pretty decent weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment