Tuesday, May 31, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 5/31/16

No sites yet this week, but we'll probably do at least one this week.  I think we can safely say my little experiment failed.  I don't feel any better at remembering things, but I did have a couple days of very impressive mood swings.  By "impressive," I mean in private, I spent about a quarter of the day crying.  I run out of salts for tears pretty quick, so I got a nice headache to go with my tears, too.

I'm not entirely sure the underlying reasons for that.  Could be depression over the weight situation and the lack of easy answers.  Could be biological imbalances, because my diet hasn't been the best and that does tend to screw with me.  The whole "you are what you eat" holds true for me to a degree.  If I eat healthier food, I'm more emotionally stable and less anxious.  Unfortunately, you can't buy quick and easy healthy food, you have to make it.  And that's hard if you're already struggling to say, brush your teeth, or eat at all, or go outside.

I have a friend that suffers some of the same problems, and he and I once talked about this.  See, one of the new crazes in nutrition is powdered, or liquid, nutrition.  He knows he doesn't eat a lot of good food, as he has trouble eating leafy greens before they go bad in his refrigerator.  So, mostly, he doesn't.  But he knows that's shorting him valuable nutrition, so his solution for times when he's just not able to cook was to make use of things like Soylent.  This, again, is basically a meal-replacement.  He made the meal replacement powder into a cookie, and had that instead of lunch.

I was somewhat concerned, because as someone who suffers similar problems, I'd already asked my doctor about meal-replacements and she was...  vastly unsupportive, shall we say.  She does not at all recommend them.  The body isn't meant to get its nutrition that way, and people who are tube-fed in hospitals and such, they survive, but they don't look good or healthy.  It's complicated, but basically she was not even slightly in favor of meal-replacement things.

But after I told my friend about that, he responded that asking him to make healthy, balanced meals was kind of like asking someone with broken legs why they weren't walking around like everyone else.  Or, as he phrased it, "Why aren't you walking on non-broken legs?!"

I suspect I'm a little better off than that, but it definitely takes a lot of mental and emotional effort to get prepared and able to make a recipe I'm not familiar with.  Which, given my inexperience, is most of them.  I did make a chicken pot pie with whole grain crust yesterday, though, so it's clearly not impossible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment