Tuesday, August 25, 2015

LENS and Life, week of 8/18

So because things at work have stopped improving and are going downhill again, I've apparently turned to stand up comedy to keep my sanity at work.  I've been listening to a lot of John Pinette when I'm not listening to voicemails or needing to pay attention to my boss.  John Pinette is pretty good, and pretty safe for work.  He talks about food and being a big guy.  He jokes about travel, cultural differences, and accents.  And of course, he makes fun of himself.  That last one seems to be a prerequisite for being funny. 

It's odd and somewhat educational to listen to stand up comedy, honestly.  Their field crosses somewhat with mine.  After all, people aren't going to listen to me very long if I'm not at least slightly entertaining along with the educational.  And it's more fun to read something funny and educational.  People pay scads of money in college to listen to people lecture, but it's the professors with senses of humor I remember now, years later.  I had this one professor who was nearly always sardonic or sarcastic, but he also dispensed some excellent stories. 

He did marriage counseling.  That's a headache and a half, but he told people straight out: "If you were told you can't get divorced without trying counseling first, and you really don't want to try to make this work, we can be done here today.  I'll say you tried counseling and it didn't work.  You don't have to spend the money to come back here repeatedly, and I don't have to waste my time."  That was what he said, to every trouble couple that came. 

It shocked me at first, to hear him say that, but as I thought about it, the eminently practical side of me realized that if you don't need the money, this makes all the sense in the world.  Why put yourself right in the middle of a shootout if the people aren't interested in putting down their guns? 

Anyway, John Pinette and my professor both were memorable.  Why?  Because they had good stories.  Because they were funny.  So I think I'll listen to more stand up comedy.  I'm not really funny.  My wit tends to dry and self-depreciating, and unusual phrasage.  (That's a word now, I guess.  Verbiage might've been a better choice, but it's too many syllables.) 

I probably won't become much more funny than I am already.  But there's nothing wrong with learning whilst being amused, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment