Tuesday, July 28, 2015

LENS and life, week of 7/21

No map for LENS yet. 

This week I get to take care of a pair of cats, in addition to my usual work.  I used to pet-sit a lot when I was younger.  It was a nice side income and the same holds true now, though the money doesn't go as far as it used to. As jobs go it's pretty unstressful, though.  The couple prefers that I play with the cats as well as feed them, so I'll sit with a book and wave toys at the cats for awhile.  Sometimes they'll go for the toys.  Sometimes they'll ignore them in favor of flopping on my lap or at my feet.  Cats.  I wish my laser pointer still worked.  They went nuts over that, especially when my hand tremor was in evidence. 

I've been having issues with dehydration again.  I suspect I'm not drinking enough water at work, and then forgetting to drink much at home, so I've started doing the "fill a 32 ounce glass up, then drink it down" thing again.  This usually results in my needing to use the bathroom a lot, but recently it hasn't.  I did try drinking dandelion root tea again, but it didn't help as far as I can tell. 

Things at work have been about the same.  I'm not getting ahead.  I'm mostly not falling further behind.  I'm still irritating my boss' boss by not doing things as quickly or as flawlessly as would be ideal.  Thinking about it, I'm really tired of hearing about all the stuff I'm not doing perfectly.  I'm overworked and underpaid, and I'm trying my best.  My boss is good about being appreciative of my effort, but almost all I hear from my boss' boss at work is criticism.  And that really wears on me, when I already have an inner critic telling me that I need to work faster, be more efficient, etc.  I think my boss understands that, but I doubt his boss does.  And really, the problem isn't the criticism specifically, it's that it's the only thing I hear.  I don't hear that my work is appreciated, or basic concern about my wellbeing on any given day.  It makes for a pretty unapproachable situation. 

I'm getting tired thinking about it, really.  I'm sleeping better these days, at least.  I was having issues where I kept waking up at night, every hour or two.  My doctor suggested timed release melatonin, and so I snagged the only bottle I could find at a physical store.  It did help, and she tells me my system may correct itself once I've been on the melatonin enough.  I do like self-correcting medical issues, and that may in fact be the case here.  I finished off a three month supply of the store stuff, and had just shifted to a new brand that didn't have vitamin B in it.  (Vitamin B makes you more alert, so it's odd that it's included in something that's supposed to make you sleep).  After switching brands, I got side effects I associate with having too much melatonin, so I've been going without for a couple days.  I think I've woken up a bit, but like once or twice compared to four or five times per night.  I'll see how well rested I feel in a few days, I guess.  When I first started taking melatonin, I felt much better rested than I had in quite awhile.  Not flawlessly rested, unfortunately, but better.  It's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment