Tuesday, June 23, 2015

LENS and Life, week of 6/16

We only did one site today... I'm not sure if that's because I complained about work so much, or because I've been so frustrated, or because we're tapering off the treatment.  

Update on the dietary issues: the doctor says I may have developed a sensitive intestinal tract as one of my body's ways of telling me I'm too stressed out.  I didn't have this problem as a kid, but apparently as one ages, these things happen.  If I recall correctly, my brother gets ill sometimes if he's too stressed out about something, so maybe there's some family link there.  Either way, the next step is to give my body a break.  I am now to avoid dairy and high fructose corn syrup for two days.

That's actually really difficult.  Most of my usual meals involve milk or cheese in some capacity.  Tonight's steak and potatoes and green beans will stay on the menu, so long as I avoid the butter, but I can't have nachos, or most of my pasta sauces, or any sugar-added item (this includes granola bars).  I went to the store after the visit today and went down the food aisles going, "Nope- corn syrup, nope- dairy, nope-dairy, nope... nope... nope..." 

I ended up with a loaf of multigrain bread, some trail mix I'll have to pick the M&Ms out of, vegetable broth, and a can of black beans.  I'm going to try to make something interesting from the broth, beans, brown rice, and the frozen veggies in my freezer, but I'm guessing I'm going to be rather bored, foodwise, for the next couple days.  Being unpleased foodwise isn't new, I guess, given that every time I've eaten in the last couple weeks I've ended up in the bathroom in major discomfort, but it's still frustrating.  I hope this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment