Tuesday, June 2, 2015

LENS and life: week of 5/26

I spent most of the LENS time complaining about my guts.  The doctor listened sympathetically, then offered me a pretty simple solution: probiotics.  She theorized that I'd killed off most of the good bacteria in my gut with all that high fructose corn syrup, and the solution was to reintroduce scads of good stuff.  So I'm taking these little pills stuffed full of 5 kinds of good bacteria.  I'm trying to stay away from the delicious sugar, but sugar, as it turns out, is one of my coping mechanisms for stress.  That's probably why I could stand to lose a few pounds...

The stress is ramping up this week at my primary job.  There'll be an audit the week after next, and we're going to hammer out what needs to be done when, soon.  I anticipate much work.  Second only to my boss, who is going to be buried in work from now 'til kingdom come.  (God, I hope not.)  As far as I know we have three-ish audits.  At least one is internal, which means stress but not the end of the world if things aren't perfect.  Losing a certification in an external audit, on the other hand... 

Still no word from my counterpart at work.  Not sure she's going to come back at all, honestly.  That's frustrating, because she didn't make much effort to train me to do her job.  I get having bad feelings about the situation, but we did work together for awhile and I'd kind of hoped she thought more of me than to leave me dangling over a pit of hungry angry sharks (of work I don't know how to do). 

To be fair, I'm handling all the parts of my job that I know how to handle pretty well.  Not flawlessly, because I'm still human, but well enough so as not to excite comment.  At least in my hearing.  I suspect, to keep up with everything my counterpart was doing, I'm going to have to work late, a lot.  Given that I'm trying to ramp it up on my blog and such, this is really not good news.  Alas, poor sanity.  I'm going to try not to leave writing these posts 'til the day before they're "due," but that may have been a semi-habit in college.  It was less "the day before they're due" and more "the week before they're due once I realize how much work they're going to be," but you get the idea.


In other news, I've been keeping tabs on a few neat articles and stories passed to me by various friends.  Perhaps I'll post them here and there soon.  Things like descriptions of what depression is like, or flowcharts for improving an autistic person's environment, or just stories of people on the spectrum being awesome.  I don't really see myself as a news service, especially given that I despise reading the news.  Most news, or perhaps I should say "news," is a poor excuse for journalism.  Uncited sources, absurd claims, fearmongering, and the like.  It tends to make a truth-oriented body like myself rather ill.  So I get most of my news secondhand, from people with more resiliency or curiosity.  It works surprisingly well.  I'm certainly never going to be the first to know world events, but I don't remain behind the times too long.

Anyway, no apparent changes in my psyche due to LENS.  Due to the overwhelmingly stressful circumstances, I'm not actually sure if I'd be able to tell if there were good changes or not.  Alas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment