Tuesday, March 3, 2015

To blatantly shatter the illusion of normalcy? (10/14/14)

I've been tempted, more than once over the years since receiving my diagnoses, to brandish a sign proclaiming my autism.  Just to make people aware that we exist.  That we're not crippled, just different.  Maybe even to prove something to myself, I'm not sure.  I envision awkward questions, quiet stares, and perhaps even arguments with ignorant people.  Would the reality be any different?  I'm not sure.

I suppose if I did decide to do it, I'd need multiple signs.  One on each shoulder, one on the front, one on the back.   They'd need to be more detailed than "autistic."  Perhaps the front and the back could say, "self identifying for Autism Awareness Day" or mention something about the hidden population of semi-functional people.  After all, many people struggle with depression, but few tell others about it.  Either way I should probably include, "curious?  Please ask me whatever questions you have."

I'd have to pointedly spend the day outside in the public.  Go shopping, maybe go to a museum, go to work, a coffee shop, a restaurant.  Eek.  This day might end up being very expensive.  It might be worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment