Friday, March 5, 2021

Worth Your Read: An Autistic Experience with the COVID vaccine

http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2021/03/getting-covid-19-vaccine-while-autistic.html

The COVID-19 pandemic has gone on for almost a year now.  While the vaccine rollout continues in the US, it's suffered from poor organization, and there is no centralized method to get an appointment.  Distribution varies by the state.  

In Michigan, I'm told the best option is to wait until your group is eligible, and then sign up in as many places as possible.  Multiple pharmacy chains have supplies of the vaccine, as does the medical system (in my area, Mercy Health or Spectrum Health).  Sign up with every entity you can.  Just be sure to cancel your place on the waiting list with the others once you've gotten your dose.  

At the moment, I'm not eligible for a vaccine.  Last I checked, I'm on the younger side of things and insufficiently medically vulnerable.  To my relief, though, my parents and my one remaining grandparent have all had their first and second shots.  

There will likely be boosters and such for the variants, but even having that baseline immunity in the ones I love is a great weight off my shoulders.  Like the author of this article, I miss giving and receiving hugs from my parents (and others).  

Regardless, this article describes one autistic person's experience receiving the vaccine.  It can be very helpful to know what to expect when going into an unfamiliar situation, and Kate, the author, does her best to describe it.  

Unlike the author, I'm not rushing to get my vaccine.  I strongly believe in the importance of herd immunity and don't even slightly discount the importance of getting the vaccine ASAP.  I just happen to also be aware that sometimes testing doesn't turn up all possible side effects.  

Since my job does not involve routine contact with the public, and can be done from home, I have the privilege to wait a little longer to see if any interesting additional side effects turn up so I can be more prepared.  My hope is that the new style of vaccine, the mRNA variety, might truly be safer than the older style.  

Either way, my spouse and I hope to get the vaccine in the next half year or so, state and supplies allowing.  Until then, and probably after then, we'll continue to wear masks, wash our hands, disinfect surfaces, and self-isolate.  I can't wait for spring and the warmer seasons, though.  Staying inside all winter hasn't been good for me, and once it warms up I'll be able to forage for wild food and enjoy nature again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment