Friday, March 26, 2021

Book Review: Divergent Mind

Divergent Mind: Thriving in a World That Wasn't Designed For You, by Jenara Nerenberg, is less of the practical guidebook I expected from the title, and more a work of history, philosophy, and suggestions and guidelines for changing the broadly disabling systems we live and work in.  Please also note that "neurodivergent" includes autism, but it also includes synesthesia, sensory processing disorder, ADHD, and more.  

The book begins with a section which read to me like a defense of the book's existence, which... kind of made me sad, because I've only seen such things rarely, and usually by autistic adults needing to prove their viewpoint matters. The author says that this book was written in response to and in addition to Elaine Aron's "The Highly Sensitive Person," published in 1996.  I suspect that book might also make for good reading.

Once the defense of the book's existence was done, it got into the deconstruction of the words and concepts we use to pathologize people, such as "mentally ill."  The author presents the historical context and evolution of cultural thinking about neurological differences in the recent few centuries.  "Female hysteria" is one of the earlier terms discussed, obviously having its roots in the male-dominated thought processes of the day.  

The book also briefly covers more recent developments, like the rise and overdiagnosis of ADHD.  Generally, the point was that what we consider normal or abnormal changes depending on what's going on in the world and who has power.  There's also discussion of various diagnoses and how they are part of a larger phenomenon that's mainly been sidelined up 'til now.  

Finally, the third section talks about changes that can be made in the self, in the home, and in the workplace.  Again, this book doesn't really specialize in concrete ideas.  I'm not at my best in terms of retaining information right now, but mainly what the author seemed to recommend was, "listen to what you feel you would do well with, try things and keep the ones that work."  That included things like paying attention to the paint colors.  

Something that specifically stuck out to me was the suggestion of figuring out what colors appeal to you and making a point to have them around.  Which just reminded me that I tend to buy everything in blue or neutral tones.  I am currently wrapped in a pale blue blanket while typing this at my computer.  Next to me is a bright medium blue cloth organizer box.  My hair is currently two-toned sapphire and Carribean ocean blue.  My computer background is a blue-hued galaxy.  My water pitcher with built in filter is a dusky dark blue.  My pill organizer is blue.  A lot of my clothes are blue. 

Apparently I've been subconsciously shaping my environment towards easing the burden on my senses for years.  Fortunately, my spouse doesn't mind my very strongly held preferences.  

I mostly liked this book, but I worry it doesn't have a lot to offer people without a lot of control over their lives.  Many autistic people live in poverty so they can get the support services they need.  That situation may not give the person (or their parents) the influence they need to change the paint color on the walls, let alone choose a career that doesn't strain their senses to the breaking point every day.  

I can't argue with the usefulness of at least teaching people to recognize the differences in their senses and experiences, and finding what ways they can to improve their lives.  Adding in a safe room, with colors to relax the person's senses, perhaps textures or smells that do the same, etc, would do pretty much any autistic person good.  

More concrete examples of changes people made in their lives, and how that helped them, would have helped make this book more accessible and useful to a broader audience, in my opinion.  As it stands, this is more of a philosophic piece about changing your mindset away from the disabling and limiting crap we've been fed systemically.  While that's valuable, it's not immediately... actionable, I guess.  

Changing someone's overall mentality is valuable and important, but they have to have the time and energy to devote to it, and my fear is that many autistic people and their parents don't have those resources to spare in these unusually and overly interesting times.  

Read This Book If

You're autistic, especially if you're female, and you want a new perspective on neurodiversity and sensitivity.  I expect parents of autistic people could also benefit from the ideas in this book.  They include history, philosophy, and broad suggestions for improving the experience of home, work, and existing in general.  The suggestions aren't concrete, firm, easy-to-follow ones, but nothing valuable in autism is cookie-cutter anyway.  This book is perhaps aimed at people with influence and means, rather than the average autistic person.  Still, the ideas within can be valuable to anyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment