Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 10/31/2018

Happy birthday, me, it's the 30th one.

Chris took the day off for it, and I rescheduled most of the day's events away from it so I could enjoy the day.  Plans are to go out for dinner, sleep in, and spend time together.  Not sure what else we'll do.  Maybe a movie.  Probably a bath.

This year, like every year since I went off to college, my birthday presents have trickled in over the last week or so, rather than all being presented in a pile as they were in my childhood.  I kind of miss the simplicity those days, not having to watch for packages, and having a single pile of cards and gifts to focus on, but it's completely unreasonable to expect my far-flung family and friends to all coordinate their gifts and well-wishes.  At this age, it's wiser to be simply grateful when the occasion is remembered, even if it's late.  I'll have plenty of years to practice that gratitude, I expect.

In the meantime, I've gotten into the habit of buying myself small things to make the month of October seem a little more celebratory.  Most of the things are $5 or less, such as the bath bomb I bought to use in the bathtub, or a small but tasty edible treat.  These things make the grind of early to late October seem less stressful.  My birthday comes at the end of October, which is after my mom's birthday, my dad's birthday, my sister-in-law's birthday, and several friends' birthdays, all of which need cards or presents or at least recognition by way of a text message or verbal greeting.

This year I shelled out for a somewhat larger gift to myself, which came in the form of making my hair blue.  Not the usual blue, this blue's more sapphire in shade: lighter and brighter.  I'll have that color in my hair for when I go to DC for the government work, which is fun.  She offered to also dye my eyebrows, which I thought was hilarious, but it's a pleasure deferred until after the trip is done, I think.  Probably going to raise enough eyebrows with the hair, without matching my eyebrows to it.



The hairstylist, who is now a friend of mine, has also agreed to accompany me to a makeup store and help me choose out some good cosmetics.  I despise the deleterious effects of the beauty industry, but I recognize the importance of appearances, unfortunately.  And the place I'm going, I remember from last year, most female people dressed nicely and wore makeup.  I found it annoying at the time, but it's best to look professional and competent when you're dealing with people who matter, but you may never see again.

She'll also probably end up giving me a lesson in how to use makeup, because I never properly learned.  But it's a skill I should probably have, given the body I have.  I don't intend to start wearing makeup all the time, or even regularly.  To me it's an investment, just like fancy clothes.  Uncomfortable, unnatural, but unfortunately essential.

Anyway, before I head off to DC, there's today to enjoy, and a dinner a few days later with family at a nice restaurant.  So that'll be pleasant.  A little reprieve before the DC trip and Thanksgiving.  

1 comment: