Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 9/5/18

Labor Day has come and gone.  Holidays always mess up my schedule somewhat, because Chris is home rather than at work, which means I have less time alone to work.  I'm not sure why, but I find it almost impossible to focus on work with someone else in the room.  Unless they're complete strangers, it's a coffee shop, and I'm really into whatever I'm doing.  

You can, and are encouraged to, ignore complete strangers in public settings unless there's a specific reason not to.  This is very pleasant for me, because the fewer people I have to acknowledge, the less distracted I am, automatically.  Parties and social occasions, are then, by default, kind of awful because the opposite rule is true there.

Anyway, I did manage to do a bit of work in a short period of time when Chris was busy with other things, so there was that.  But also, we got a new kitchen overhead light installed.  I managed to break the one that came with the house with a combination of my head and the crockpot, and it'd been broken for a few weeks now.  (I was taking the crockpot down from its perch over the refrigerator, accidentally hit the light with the crockpot, bapped myself in the head, and dropped the crockpot amidst the shards for good measure.  It was not an experience I recommend to anyone.)

It was a surprising amount of work to replace the light!  But Chris did most of it, so I can't complain too hard.  I did spend a good period of time holding the light up so that Chris could attach the wires with two hands.  This is actually a very difficult task for me.  I don't seem to have good circulation to my arms when they're held up, so I get tired very fast.  But of course, I could hardly drop the thing while he was still working on the wiring...  Once it was done, though, the new light is brighter than the old one by a good margin, and looks nice.  So that's a pleasant improvement.  

We also went out to lunch with my parents over the weekend, which was pleasant, and did some Pokemon hunting.  Mostly, though, it was a "stay home and relax" kind of weekend.  I guess we both kind of needed that, so it was nice that it was a 3 day weekend instead of a regular 2 day weekend.  

The only other major news of note is that my car is having minor mechanical issues.  The brakes need replacing, I think, and one headlight went out.  So, nothing too expensive, hopefully, but kind of poor timing.  I'm having to drive my spouse to work, and then pick him up again afterwards, while they work on the car.  We're very fortunate to be able to manage two cars (insurance prices are no joke in this state), but I do sometimes wish maintenance wasn't a thing I had to deal with for cars.  I suppose I'm not really alone in that regard.  It's just one more thing that can break in a truly startling variety of ways, causing anxiety.  

Beyond that, there was a huge set of storms that came through a few days ago, bringing torrential rain, so the pond is still quite algae-free, to my distinct pleasure.  The rain did cause flooding for at least one of my friends, unfortunately, but I guess nothing got ruined, so there was that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment