Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 9/19/18

The early part of this week sufficiently upset me that I ended up writing this Friday's post while trying to write this Wednesday post.  So look forward to that, I guess!  But fortunately the whole week wasn't nearly so upsetting.

My car is finally fixed, at least for now.  We ended up having to bring it in twice, because the mechanics ran out of time to work on it, but the brakes will hold out for a while yet, and I guess nothing was wrong with them other than the wear.  But I finally have two headlights again, so that's excellent.  The first time I got pulled over by the police, it was because I was missing a headlight.  The experience (which included misunderstandings, but at least no fines) was sufficiently upsetting that it makes me nervous to have a headlight out.  So that's all taken care of.

In very happy news, I'm almost kind of succeeding at making a set of posts ahead of time (a buffer) for this blog.  This was one of my year goals, and I'd kind of started managing it, but then fell behind again and was back to making posts as they were due.  These Wednesday posts, about my life and current events, are never written more than a day in advance.  But the Reading the Research (Monday) and the Friday topical posts can be written ahead of time without messing anything up, so it behooves me to do so.  It's just hard to write more than one per week, especially if you're struggling to manage your life already.

Also fun was this weekend.  Michigan, the state I live in, has a bunch of renaissance fairs, with medieval events, turkey legs, performers, and lots of interesting shops.  I kind of like going to them, and so does my spouse, so this weekend we went to a really big one in Holly.  It was a long drive, but we arrived safely and met up with a couple of my friends from college for like 5 hours.

It was really cool to see them, particularly since it was their wedding anniversary weekend.  They were willing to take some time during that occasion to see us, which was very thoughtful of them.  We mostly shopped, but also saw a comedy show and got food and drinks.  There was actually even a veggie burger stall for me, along with everything from barbecue to quesadillas.  As in most events, the refreshments were expensive, but mostly, the food and drinks were good.  So that was nice.  I highly recommend the apple dumpling stall, if you end up going.  It's a whole apple, cored and baked, wrapped in pastry and then topped with vanilla ice cream. 

The weather was sunny and fairly pleasant, if perhaps a mite hot, but the temperature only topped out at about 80 degrees, and we were wearing street clothes.  I can't imagine how the dedicated people wearing leather, plate mail, and/or corsets survived, but last year it was much hotter.  Even in street clothes and comfortable shoes, I ended up sweaty, hot, and footsore by the end of it.  Still, the sore muscles in my legs told me I'd gotten good exercise along with my good company.

I did end up buying a couple things, too.
Faux fur fluffy slippers!  Very warm.  Super nice for cold basements.  
A red rose... made from leather!  Scented with rose perfume, too.  
I'd been kind of wanting something like these slippers for a while.  It's cold year-round in the the basement of our house, and while I'd been making do with thick socks, slippers are just... really nice to have.  And very simple to put on.  Slide feet in and go.  And they're blue!  Because of course they are.  I think probably half my belongings are blue at this point.  

The rose is the second of its kind that I own.  Properly cared for, it'll last decades (although the scent won't, but that's fine).  I have a blue one from last year that I'm fond of, but I think it was misplaced in the move to this house.  Once I find it, I'll put it in the vase with the red one.  Eventually, in a decade perhaps, I'll have a dozen roses that never need watering or having their stems trimmed.  They're small things, but they brighten my mood somewhat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment