Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 10/11/17

I made it home safely, as you could probably tell from the Friday entry last week.  I have since been spending the time recovering, which, annoyingly, has not taken a couple days, but may end up taking a whole week.  A week to recover from a week and a half trip.  And, I suppose, the vast amounts of stress that build up prior to that week and a half.  Still annoying.

I think I might be doing better now that I've started a different computer game.  I like to be good at something on a regular basis, and since I am not good at life, socializing, music, or most other subjects, I often sink my metaphorical teeth into computer games.  This particular one is a text-based game, somewhat like Zork, but multiplayer and with a small, helpful community attached.  I actually played this particular game in college for a good while, and developed some player resources (specifically, a wiki) for it.  Then I graduated, became a ball of stress looking for a job, and then became a ball of stress with a job that kept me too busy to play.  Now I'm a bit less of a ball of stress, so perhaps I have time to play again.  Also, the playerbase and the staff of the game welcomed me back with open arms, so that was both gracious of them and gratifying to me. 

The challenge of updating the wiki (player resources) for the game is a daunting one, but I should be okay if I take it slowly.  It's not like the game has upended itself in six years, but some of the information I'd put down has changed, and some of it is now entirely inaccurate.  And also, when I made the resource, I did it rather crudely rather than making a real wiki, so that bugs me now and I'll have to fix it.

In other news, it's October, the month of all the birthdays forever in my immediate family.  We're two down, two to go, for that.  My mother's birthday is upcoming, as is my own.  I actually have several friends who were also born in October.  The finances are a bit stretched due to upcoming events, but a few small presents might be in order. 

Upcoming next week is a trip out to Connecticut (again), but for a more festive occasion: a wedding.  Two of our wedding guests are tying the knot this month, and they kindly invited us in return to their wedding.  It'll be lovely to see them again.  They're good people, but the distance (over 700 miles, 12+ hours by car) is kind of ruinous for most visits.  While we're out there, Chris has endeavored to visit family and friends.  The initial idea was for a mini-vacation, but the resulting schedule is so full of people, I can't realistically call it a vacation any more.  It will, however, be good to see people.  And unlike the last trip down to CT, I should be able to isolate myself a bit more during and after the day. So it'll probably be all right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment