Tuesday, April 12, 2016

LENS and Life, week of 4/12/16

One site last week, probably one site this week too. 

I managed to not get entirely lost whilst my tablet was gone, and now thankfully it's fixed.  I think they may've been sweethearts and fixed the bent pin in the charging port, too.  But I'm not sure, and I paid them a lot for the repair, so I'm mainly just happy they did, in fact, fix it flawlessly. 

This weekend was a bit quieter, thankfully.  There was still the Sunday night D&D, but everything else was quiet.  Well, except for the cats.  I occasionally do cat care for some older, more travel-prone friends of mine, and their cats are characters.  The one is huge and fluffy and a complete fraidy-cat.  The other is absurdly thin and acrobatic.  Normally she's affectionate, but she seems to be giving me the cold shoulder right now.  In any case, I've been grabbing a book and heading over to their place for an hour or two, getting them fed, and annoying them with the toys and laser pointer.  They don't seem to mind.

I mentioned B vitamins in the last entry here.  In an effort to combat my sleep issues, my doctor has recommended I try a B complex.  This is the second time we've tried this.  The first time I went and got a thing from Meijer and tried having that with my breakfast.  The results were... completely horrifying.  Upon taking the pill in the morning, I would burp the acrid flavor of B vitamins for the next four hours.  Approximately every 3 minutes.  I tried varying my breakfast, as that can help keep bubbles from forming in the stomach.  Nothing worked.  I gave up in less than half a week, because I simply couldn't handle the disgusting. 

So now, about one year later, we're trying again.  This time the supplement is medical grade, meaning the FDA actually cares what's in it and it has to be a certain level of purity.  Apparently not all supplements are created equal, and some companies will advertise a certain amount of a substance in their product, but really have anywhere from 20-70% of that amount  and the rest is filler.  Distressing, but that's why you have to be careful about where you get your stuff. 

If I take these B vitamins on an empty stomach, I do still burp the taste (like once every half an hour).  But these are milder by a good bit than the other supplements.  If I take them with food, I don't even get that.  Which means something really bad was up with those Meijer supplements.  Disappointing.  In any case, I'm now having new and different sleep problems. 

B vitamins serve to wake you up, which is why I was told to take them in the morning, opposite the sleepytime stuff.  That's to minimize their chances of affecting your ability to get to sleep.  Naturally, that is apparently insufficient for me.  I'm now waking up every few days at 2-4am, and then being unable to sleep for at least an hour.  Last Friday's entry was the second such experience, and I've had another since that gave me a 9 hour-long headache after I woke up. 

I might consider taking the B vitamins every other day.  They are doing stuff, as evidenced by my shifting sleep patterns.  But I can't cut the dosage in half, because the pills are those capsule things.  (Well, I could open the capsules, pour out half the stuff, and take them, but that's a lot of work.)  I'll ask the doctor what I should do in the next couple days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment