Friday, January 3, 2020

Worth Your Watch: Lessons from Brain Scans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPRsT-lmw8

Brains are not made of concrete.  The idea that once you're grown up, that's it and you're done changing and growing, is a fallacy from decades ago.  It's been proven stunningly wrong.  While you may not grow any taller, your brain continues to wire and rewire itself as the years go by.  You grow new neurons.  As you learn new ideas, new pathways and connections in your brain must develop to allow you to handle those ideas and live in an ever-changing world. 

Thus, the idea of these brain scans, and neuroplasticity (the idea that brains change continuously through a person's life), is a valuable one.  The idea that you can literally change someone's brain, to help them heal from an injury or counteract a toxic environment, is invaluable.

That is, in fact, exactly what neurofeedback, especially LENS, the type I benefit from, aims to do.  And it's what my doctor, after years of prodding my brainwaves, has likely achieved.  I can't prove it, of course, since I have no brain scans of myself prior to treatment.  But the results are kind of hard to argue with:  I'm less depressed, less anxious, more able to convey emotions and work with neurotypical people.  I would also say I "read" people better and more intuitively than I used to, right down to being able to point out specific body language markers. 

I did some research on this speaker after I finished this TED talk.  To my great annoyance, there aren't really specifics on how to help autistic people on his website or in the promotional videos.  It's very much a "pay for my services and then I'll tell you how I can help you" scenario.  Of the two "mother advocate" videos, only one went into minor detail about the results of these brain scans.  Blood tests, supplementation, and specific behavioral plans were noted, along with much praise for the expertise of the clinic's experts. 

It's definitely true that autistic people can have specialized dietary requirements or need specific restrictions (like gluten-free casein-free) to thrive.  In fact, what little was described here is rather similar to what my own doctor has guided me through: better nutrition by way of blood tests and supplementation, better guidance for what to do with specific situations. 

I do wonder if "more movement" and "eat less processed crap" also featured in the treatment plan, because those are extremely significant.  At this point in my life, I can actually feel the changes in my system if I've eaten processed food, versus healthier whole foods.  It's both impressive and extremely disappointing, given that a lot of my favorite foods are processed junk. 

In any case, my favorite bit of this video was applicable to any person, autistic or not: you are not stuck the way you are.  You can change the patterns of your life, even if the problem is in your very brain.  I can safely say this is accurate.  There is hope.  You don't even have to travel to San Francisco to find someone to help. I find that wonderfully hopeful and heartening.   

No comments:

Post a Comment