Friday, January 31, 2020

Worth Your Read: Hospital Equipment is an Auditory Nightmare

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/science/alarm-fatigue-hospitals.html

I've complained about hospitals before, particularly hospital rooms.  This article is a much more indepth explanation, complete with examples, of the auditory end of things.  Apparently you needn't be autistic to be horrified by the experience.  Trained musicians, or even just ordinary people, don't enjoy it either.

When I visit people in the hospital, I'm nearly constantly aware of beeping, rumbling ventilation, carts, doors to patient rooms left wide open, staff loudly talking in the halls, and other machine noises like the IV machine's clicks.

I found the examples helpful to illustrate what they were talking about, and particularly enjoyed the Care Tunes Demonstration video near the bottom of the article.

I suspect making these changes would involve a lot of retraining, a lot of replacement costs for machinery, etc...  But I also suspect turnover wouldn't be nearly so high in those professions if being in hospitals wasn't so horrid, and the patient recovery statistics would be so much better.

I can definitely say that my own recovery in a hospital would go a ton better if I had CareTunes to listen to, rather than the barrage of suffering-inducing beeps and trills I've heard in the past.  I would find the hospital a less terrifying, painful, emotionally-damaging experience.  I think the same is true of most sound-sensitive people, and perhaps even most people.


No comments:

Post a Comment