Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 10/24/18

Whewww.... October is almost over.  Alllllmost over. 

I was seriously considering calling off my birthday this month and celebrating at some later date when I wasn't completely overwhelmed and crabbity, but things seem to be shifting in a more positive direction. 

Notable good points this week include eating freshly made beef stew with my spouse and my parents, a combination birthday party for myself and a friend, and a trip to a local orchard with a different friend group. 

Seasoned readers will know that I tend to eat vegetarian in most contexts, which makes the beef stew all the more special.  In truth, I'll happily eat meat, but I'm touchy about where it comes from.  So in restaurant settings and pretty much anywhere except home, I'm strictly vegetarian.  At home, I can find humane chicken, turkey, bison, and beef, but usually it's quite expensive compared to the grocery store standards. 

So after our original birthday plans fell through, having a well-prepared, fresh beef stew made for me (well, partially by me, but mostly for me), is a real delight.  Getting to share it with my parents was an extra treat, and they seemed to enjoy it as well.

In recent Mondays, I normally see a pair of my friends to watch the latest episode of a favorite TV show together.  This week that happened, but another couple friends came as well, and we made a proper party of it, celebrating my birthday and one of the friends' birthdays (his was yesterday).  There was good food, good company, and we played a trivia game that had basically everyone in fits of laughter.  Other than the laughs hurting my abs after a while, it was excellent. 

Lastly, there was an outing planned to a local orchard that turned out pretty nicely.  It was a nice day, though quite chilly.  There was a hay ride and a corn maze activity offered, both of which I did.  The corn maze appears to be an excuse to wander around outdoors and enjoy the day, or at least this one was.  There were two separate spots where you could climb up and view the maze from above, and the corn itself wasn't super tall, so you could kind of peer over it and decide where you were going next. 

The crowning event for the orchard visit was the eating of the cider and doughnuts, though.  Fresh, hot doughnuts on a cold day was lovely, and the cider from this orchard was pretty good.  I'm still searching for a comparable cider to the orchard I lived near in CT, but this stuff was rich, sweet, and tangy, and of course fresh and unpasteurized.  I know pasteurization is a marvel of modern technology and makes storage and transport really easy for many liquids, but I'm happier drinking my cider without it.  I'm not actually sure if it's good for my gut or not, but I hope so.  I didn't have any obvious pointers to yes or no, anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment