Friday, June 22, 2018

Worth Your Read: Parallels

I'm still recovering, it seems, so here's another article I'd hoped to make into a decent discussion at some point.  It's by an autistic trans man, noting parallels in his life between being autistic and being transgender.  Some of his observations strike me as excellent ones, especially the thoughts regarding female socialization. 


He also talks about trying to bridge his "two ways of being: The way I present myselt to the world, and the way that I perceive who I am."  This is a struggle that many autistic people, myself included, experience.  We're expected to act, look, and sound certain ways, and those ways are not necessarily our own ways.  At this moment, I don't truly know where I end and my neurotypical act begins... I simply juggle them and try to favor the former over the latter when feasible. 

If you have time, do take a look at the numbers about transgendered people and autism.  They're remarkably common conditions to have together.  This is one of the reasons I post about LGBTQIA+ issues as well as autism/disability issues- in some ways, they are one and the same. 

http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2018/02/autism-transmasculine-identity-and.html

No comments:

Post a Comment