Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 6/27/18

"Tired" about summarizes this last week.  It's more the new meal planning than the week's events, but it all adds up. 

The trip out with my dad for Father's Day went well.  I didn't mention it precisely last week, because he sometimes reads this blog, but we took him mini-golfing at a local off-the-wall place called Glow Golf.  It involved neon lights, black lights, and hunting and fishing themed decor.  It was, suffice it to say, interesting.  We also did dinner, of course, and the cheese shop.  I'd mainly settled on the mini-golfing because one of my strongest memories of "dad time" was of us doing that together at a fancy-ish indoor mini-golf course at a big mall.  The memories are pretty fuzzy, since that was over 20 years ago, but it was still kind of fun to try this particular course.  I'm not sure I'd go back, but it was at least challenging.  And he seemed to have fun, so that's really all that matters.

That wasn't the only social event this week, either.  My grandmother came over to the house.  She helped us buy the place, and it's nice to have family over anyway, so we broke out some beef stew and Chris made his rosemary bread.  She didn't stay for a super long time, but she saw the house, ate lunch, and had a bit of tea afterwards. 

The new meal planning I mentioned is the result of my throwing up my hands, after weeks of faithful exercise, and deciding my body is just not interested in losing weight.  I'm now adhering to a fasting diet, which has me restricting my eating to between noon and 8pm.  This basically means I skip breakfast.  It's not necessarily ideal, but I'm hoping that between the benefits of fasting and the lack of snacking in the evening/morning will mean that I actually start losing weight. 

So far it's only made me properly miserable once, when my first meal was really low in sugar/substances convertible into sugar.  I got very dizzy after that until I ate something else.  Haven't made that mistake again, and I seem to be doing okay now.  I'm not performing as well on my morning exercise, but without a ready supply of energy, who can blame my muscles for not doing as good a job? 

I may or may not get an earful about the situation from the doctor I'm going to today.  I've been wanting to know if anything unusual is up with my joints, so I scheduled an appointment about a month ago with a kinesthesiologist.  Basically, a chiropractor, but for the whole body.  So we'll see what he says, but the intake paperwork was much more interested in my diet than in my joints.  And the intake paperwork was long, bleh. 

The last interesting thing of note this week came about because a wasp (or maybe several) got into the gas fireplace in my home.  It's an open question as to why they'd do that, and why, after doing that, they'd shun the perfectly good top exit to buzz around the fireplace area, get into the house, and then proceed to smash themselves against the sliding door... but after two repetitions of letting them back out, we decided this had gone on long enough, and lit the fireplace.  We let it run for several hours, which should be quite long enough to convince the little buggers to go somewhere else. 

The end result, however, seems to be that the air is full of something that's choking and unpleasant to me.  This is a gas fireplace, so it's not like there's really... ash.  Unless it burnt a wasp nest, I guess.  All the same, something in the air is making me miserable.  I'm hoping it'll go away soon, as I keep the fan on regularly so the air circulates through the house. 

Hopefully this won't be a regular occurrence, because I kind of like using the fireplace.  It makes the house extra cozy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment