Monday, April 23, 2018

Reading the Research: Why Meditate?

Welcome back to Reading the Research, where I trawl the Internet to find noteworthy research on autism and related subjects, then discuss it in brief with bits from my own life, research, and observations.

Today's articles deal with meditation and its various benefits.   There are actually three (I'll link them as they come up), which was kind of like my tablet was yelling at me for not exercising properly or eating well.  You see, meditation is apparently fantastic for all aspects of your health: physical, emotional, and mental.  But other than a few failed tries at it, I haven't managed to pick up the habit or capability.  This is despite an actual class in an autistic-people-only conference and a free app with guided meditation on my support tablet/phone.  Apparently I should be trying again, because:

Meditation has immediate benefits: reduced anxiety and improved heart and circulatory health.  This is excellent for anyone, but particularly for autistic people, whose bodies age quicker from the stress of existing in a society that often doesn't accept us and forces us to act in ways counter to our natures.  In addition, something like 70% of autistic people suffer anxiety disorders of some variety, so pretty much anything that reduces anxiety is something to look into. 

Another aspect is that it improves your perception, focus, body awareness, emotional regulation, and self of sense.  All of these are things autistic people can often use more practice with, either because we developed slower than neurotypical people, or because it's harder for us due specific disabilities. Having an intestinal tract that refuses to digest dairy or gluten, for example, tends to take your mind off learning how to put words and description to your feelings.  Since you need to worry about whether you'll digest each meal properly, or whether it'll send you to the bathroom, you have less time to learn social niceties or be introspective and thoughtful regarding your emotional wellbeing.  Even if you have the dietary tricks figured out, it's still both a hassle and a major distraction.  Taking time, then, away from the rest of your day to specifically focus on other things, can be very important and an excellent opportunity for growth. 

Lastly, it seems the effects of meditation last.  The gains in focus from meditation seem to offset the standard loss of focus in aging, according to a study from last month.  As our ability to focus deeply and intently is one of the hallmarks of autistic people, this seems like a good practice to look into, just in terms of keeping your quality of life where it is.

With all these benefits, and a lot more that I don't immediately have articles to back up, why is this such a hard decision for me?  Well, part of it is that I've already tried it, and I got discouraged by how incredibly bad I was at it.  You see, meditation is directed focus, and I am apparently very distractable.  I don't think I made it through a single minute straight without getting sidetracked by this thought or that worry.  That isn't actually a dealbreaker, according to some stuff I've read recently... but I didn't know that at the time.  It was very frustrating to keep failing so quickly, over and over.  Apparently it's actually quite normal and expected, when learning, to get sidetracked that often.

I also found it difficult to justify the time spent, even when it was just 10 minutes, when it simply felt like I was sitting there twiddling my thumbs.  That's one of the reasons these studies are important.  But it also turns out you can spend a mere minute or two a day when you're learning- something simple to start out with.  I didn't know that, at the time, and figured I was probably lowballing it at 10.  Guess not. 

At present, I'm exercising 5 days a week and trying to eat better.  It might be time to try exercising my brain in this way, also.  After all, the mind affects the body, just as the body affects the mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment