Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 4/11/18

This week seems to have been a week full of trying and failing to establish routines.   I've been trying to eat better, and I made buttermilk rosemary chicken with lots of vegetables and various other good, healthy meals... but I also ate lots of Easter candy and am still failing to lose even 5 pounds.  I check twice a week on the scale at my parents' condo complex.  Definitely not losing weight.

I'm trying to keep up with my 5 day a week exercise schedule, but I've felt so bad in the last week or so that I think it was only 4, or maybe 3.5 since I didn't do cardio one of those days.  In the meantime, I seem to be sore upon waking... and have stiff and crackly joints in general.  That might be in part because I'm not really managing to sleep on my back... but I'd kind of hoped otherwise because I made a point of getting a huge, fluffy pillow stuffed between my knees for when I sleep on my side.  I figured it would be a good stand-in tactic until I could get more comfortable sleeping solely on my back...

It seemed to be working, but then I washed my pillows.  Both my pillows are memory foam, which apparently holds water like a sponge.  Which wouldn't be a problem, except for the aforementioned bigness and fluffiness.  It's really hard to wring out something that's bigger than your torso.  Normally I think I'd just leave the silly pillows outside, but it's still quite cold outside, so I'd just get pillowsicles.  We have a nice large deck, though, so on nicer days I might air dry some laundry.  In the meantime, I'm bodily wringing out my pillows.  And not using them to sleep on.  So I slept on my side and today my knees hurt.  Oops.

This week I also managed to forget my supplements two days in a row, which made a mess of my head.  My anxiety spiked and stayed high even after I started making a point to remember to take the supplements.  So yeah, overall it was a pretty shoddy week for wellness. 

In happier news, though, Chris and I managed to locate a pair of bookshelves for our home.  They were in a consignment furniture shop, and they roughly match the wood color of the condominium itself.  Also they were only $40 each, which was nice.  The quality is not amazing, as you can guess from the price, but they're sturdy enough once leaned against a wall, and they should do for a good while.  Eventually Chris and I might see about getting custom made furniture, and making everything match... but that's going to be a project for a day when we have scads of money... so not anytime soon. 

Also, we managed to get our taxes done, though we cut it pretty close this year.  Taxes are literally due next week, and we only just managed them.  We won't be able to do that next year, because we'll need to get them done professionally.  Buying a house tends to complicate your taxes, particularly the way we managed doing it... so that'll be messy.  But a trial for next year, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

Instead, I should go look at more pictures of cute puppies and kittens.  I read somewhere that helps lower blood pressure and stress, and as it happens, Twitter has lots of such pictures if you go looking for them.  So as this seems to be a pleasant activity with health benefits, I've been attempting to do it before bedtime on a regular basis.  Because of how badly the rest of the week went, I'm not 100% sure if it's had positive lasting effects... but it's at least nice at the time, and doesn't involve consuming calories, so hey, good enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment