Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 2/28/18

Movingmovingmovingmovingmoving...  I'm really starting to hate that blue plastic tub.  Three trips with it full of books was hard enough, but it turns out a lot of things are heavy when you pile them into a tub that size.  Still, the one tub a day plan seems to be working okay.  The old apartment isn't even close to empty yet, but it's definitely looking sparser. 

Reorganizing everything is going to be interesting, but I'm figuring on using a method described in one of my books recently to help sort it all out.  Basically: put related things into piles, then subdivide the piles until you have manageable piles, and then do 1-2 piles a day or however many you can manage.  I can probably do a whole room at a time, once we figure out what goes in which room.

On Saturday, Chris and I went furniture shopping.  He lined up a bunch of secondhand stores, and off we went.  Our shopping list included side tables, bookshelves, a coffee table, comfy couches, recliners, a large screen TV, and a conference table.  Yeah, a conference table.  Why?  Well...  Chris wants to have our computers together on the same table, but still have lots of room to spread out into...  So his solution was a 7-8 foot conference table, at least 4 feet wide.  We'll sit on different sides, so we don't bash elbows. Slightly absurd, but.  We found one, and cheaply.

I should have pictures for you, but I don't right now.  In a couple weeks I'll be describing the moving-in process for Friday's entry, so I'll try to have pictures for that.  In addition to the table, we also swiped a corner cabinet-thing, which I assume must've been an entertainment center at one time.  One of our TVs does actually fit into the silly thing, so there's that.  We also found a nice coffee table and a nice blue reclining chair that is both comfy and nice-looking.  I laid claim to it, though we did technically buy it together so Chris gets to sit in it too.  Sometimes.

So we ended up hauling all those things back to our new house.  I dubbed the conference table "the monster" because it was so obnoxiously heavy and bulky, but we did get it into the house  The recliner went upstairs, everything else went downstairs.  The house is still going to be very sparse for furniture, not like it was when the previous owner lived there, but at least it won't be tons of empty space as far as the eye can see. 

On Monday we went back to the place we found the blue recliner, as there was a... couchlet, I guess, that Chris really liked.  Honestly, it's like a corner piece, but long so you can stretch out on it.  I dunno, it was weird.  We'd seen it at the same time we saw the blue recliner, but had opted to only buy the recliner, as the recliner was pretty and the couchlet wasn't.

It took a great deal of debate, but we did end up buying the couchlet, muddy brown color and all.  The couchlet was more expensive than we wanted, but it's exceedingly comfortable and can fit 1-3 people if they squish together.  It's one of those furniture pieces you can forget you're sitting on pretty quickly.  So probably worth the money.

Yesterday we moved the essentials in: the bed, most of the kitchen, and both our computers.  It was exhausting, honestly, and if I never have to do this again, it won't be a moment too soon.  I expect to be sore for several days, despite Mom's help.  The Internet will transfer over at about the time this goes live, hopefully, so I should be able to get to work on the blog again soon.

As a treat for all that heavy lifting, we also went and saw Black Panther with my parents.  It's actually the second time we've seen it, and it held up pretty well on the second viewing.  I'll avoid spoilers here, but suffice it to say, the philosophies of the various characters, the world in which the movie was set, and the main conflict of the movie, were much more interesting and unusual than most superhero movies, and I appreciated that.  It also made me spend more than an hour trawling the Internet for the reactions of people of color, both from the US and from other parts of the world.  Overall, the reviews from such people were positive, which made me feel better about enjoying the movie so much.

Unrelated: I implemented the Zombies, Run! strategy I was mentioning last week.  Seems to be going well.  I caught myself being annoyed on Monday because I wasn't going to be able to catch the next episode that day.  This week is going to be shaky for doing that strategy, though, because we're ramping up our moving efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment