Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Legwork and Life, week of 2/21/18

My moving stress got interrupted by a brief but very nasty bout of food poisoning.  I'm hoping I'm not suffering a round 2 at present, as my mind is very foggy and sluggish.  Frustratingly, I'm not really sure what got me, either, which makes me rather nervous about eating anything at home.  The day I got sick, I only ate food from our refrigerator and cupboards...

Only time will tell, I guess, but I hope whatever it is, I ate all of it, paid the price, and today's molasses-brain is unrelated.  I really don't want to have to hide in the bedroom with no lights on and the windows entirely covered because my eyes can't stand any brightness whatsoever.  That included my tablet, at the lowest possible backlight setting.  So not only was I miserable, I was unable to do work or even pleasure reading while I was miserable.  I had to keep a bucket by the bedside because my stomach was so upset.  I ended up snarkily dubbing the thing "my second best friend."  Chris (my best friend) was amused by this, as much as he could be while feeling bad for me, anyway.

The bout of food poisoning also ruined my exercise streak, because I could barely keep the contents of my stomach under control when I wasn't moving.  I think I have a better plan for managing my exercise now, though.  I've written, briefly, about a phone app called Zombies, Run!  It's basically a living novel, with you as the protagonist in a post zombie apocalyptic world.  You are a Runner, one of the people who picks up supplies and risks their life to accomplish tasks outside the safety of the enclave's walls.  You are utterly essential to the survival of the human race.

The story, which is written by a published author, is narrated to you while you run, in a series of missions.  At this point, there are 6 seasons of missions, so quite a bit of story.  In addition, there are specific training missions, race missions, and even some specialized missions like airdrops, interval training, and supply missions.  All of this, and it lets you listen to a music playlist in between the narration, too.

My one complaint about it is the price: they opted to do the subscription route, and their price is $4/month, or $25 for a year.  I prefer to just buy things once and be done.  It's like buying a book, and then having to rebuy it each year.  I'd be fine with buying each season once, but that's not an option.  So I've mostly opted to use the free version, and sparingly.  But I may change that, and shell out the $25 for the year.  I badly need to lose weight, and I already know "finding out what happens next" is a strong motivator for me.  So my plan is to use Zombies, Run! each of my home exercise sessions.  I should be able to get caught up to the latest stuff in a year or so, which would be nice.

Beyond that scheduled exercise, though, there's moving all our stuff from this third floor apartment to our new condo.  Thankfully we're not taking anything up flights of stairs, only down them.  While down feels a lot more dangerous to me than up, it's less effortful overall, I think.  I have sore muscles from the first few loads over... which in my case have been almost entirely books.  Chris and I agreed to each take over a plastic tub full of stuff each day, together.  Since I already had a tub full of books, it seemed smartest to just bring that first... but man, books are heavy.

We're planning on hiring movers this time, mostly due to our chest freezer, which is both large and exceptionally heavy.  But some of the other furniture would probably be best moved by professionals, also.  And naturally all the essentials have to go at once, lest we be stuck without them in one place or the other.  Thankfully, my parents have graciously provided a number of the boxes they used for moving, so we'll be able to manage this feat without needing to buy boxes or make multiple, annoying trips.

I am afraid this time of transition is very hard on me, all things considered, so I hope it's over soon.  It saddens me to put my things into boxes, upsets me when I can't find things I'm looking for, and frustrates me to be making all these trips and expending all this effort when I really just want to curl up in bed with a book.  Like any other move, though, the effort will be worth it... I just don't promise to be any kind of happy while it's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment