Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 9/20/17

I'm definitely keeping this update schedule.  It feels much more balanced and less rushed.  I'm still struggling at the Friday entries, but I feel like I have more time to handle them now.  I assume this is all in my head, but it's my head, I have to work with it.

Because I don't have enough going on already (sarcasm), Bible study has started up at church.  I'm going to attend, as I have the last three or so years.  It's a Thursday morning affair, which unfortunately means it's basically retirees and the odd person that doesn't work a normal 9-5 schedule.  Naturally, I'm the latter category, and depressingly, I'm the youngest person that attends.  That does give me lots of interesting things to say to the group, especially since I've disclosed my diagnosis to my small group. 

This year's study is going to be on Psalms.  I haven't dealt a lot with Psalms, as it all started sounding the same to me when I read them all at once.  Some of the individual turns of phrase were interesting, but those have been replicated in a dozen or three hymns or other songs.  So I'm not overly enthusiastic about this particular study.  I guess we'll see what happens.  I do think it's important to study the Bible and spend time learning about the context and proper meaning of the various books and words.  Otherwise you get people justifying slavery using the Bible, and justifying oppression of minorities, and paying lip service to loving your neighbor while taking away their healthcare, rights, and happiness. 

I'm a little disillusioned with the Christian Right.  Can you tell?

In less crabbity news, my mother uncovered a little decorative fountain that my brother gave me years ago.  She asked if I wanted it, and I opted to take it, so I've been experimenting with having it on.  The sound is relaxing, somewhat.  I also dug out an old addon I had on my computer called Elmnts, which basically plays the sounds of rain, ocean, a river, crackling fire, birdsong in a forest, and/or a busy coffee shop.  You can mix and match which sounds you want, and I'm particularly fond of the rainfall one.  It comes with distant thunder.  I'm not sure why that's so soothing to me.  My inclination is that my brain recognizes it as "rain means less activity, thunder means bad weather elsewhere, we should be still and quiet because nothing is going to happen." 

But really, I'm grasping at straws.  I was trying out the rainfall sounds in conjunction with the river sounds a couple days ago...sitting at my computer, next to a sliding door, with stark, brilliant sunshine streaming in.  Somehow, that didn't mess up the calming effect.  So I have no idea.  But hey, something that soothes my frayed nerves, at a time I really need my frayed nerves soothed?  Awesome. 

I just need to find something like that for my tablet/phone device (Elmnts no longer exists on the Internet, apparently), and then perhaps I can relax a bit on command.  The concept would be utterly absurd and impossible without this re-discovery, so wish me luck with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment