Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Legwork and Life, week of 9/12/17

So far I'm liking this new update schedule.  It feels more relaxed for the same amount of work, and makes my Monday less of a panic-fest.  Friday will be just the same, of course.

I'm sufficiently annoyed with the whole Self Advocates of Michigan thing to skip explaining how the meetings at the start of the month went.  Suffice it to say the work is unrewarding and stressful thus far.  We'll see if the meeting at the end of the month, where I have to stand up and talk to a bunch of other self-advocates and interested parties, is anything besides torture. 

Before that, though, my dad is going to be in town very briefly, so I'll get to have dinner with him and my grandmother.  I'm looking forward to it, as I don't see him that often and missed my last opportunity to visit with him.  Chris is probably looking forward to it also, because the dinner falls on one of his days to cook, and that means he can skip cooking that day.  I made some efforts to try to nail down what restaurant we'll go to, but didn't get much response.  Such is life.

This isn't the last time I'll see my dad this month, too.  At the end of the month, just after I exhaust myself trying to run an in-person meeting with a bunch of people I've never met before, I get to hop an airplane and fly down to CT.  My parents are finally on the tail end of moving, and I have a decent amount of stuff still left in my closet and in the basement.  Naturally, anything I can toss out is one less thing they have to move.  I'll also lend them a hand in the moving process as best I can.  It's little enough that I can do, but it's better than nothing.

I just hope I'm not a grumpy snarl-bucket when I get there.  I have yet to restore my blog's buffer, and I need to do that before I head off on this particular adventure.  While the airplane trip will give me plenty of time to read a book or a half-dozen science articles, it will also try my patience and my sanity, which will likely make it difficult to write any reviews.  And that's assuming I have any hardware that can manage a keyboard.  I haven't had a laptop for years, and Chris' old laptop has broken hinges.  That damage makes it very unpleasant to try to carry around, as it can't be closed properly or opened with anything but the most painstaking care.  I might make do with a bluetooth keyboard Chris got me years ago, if I can get it to link up to my tablet.  That would be awkward, as it doesn't actually attach to the tablet.  It's hard to look at the screen and line up the keyboard at the same time. 

In happier news, I have another haircut coming this week. I haven't, as a rule, looked forward to haircuts in the course of my life.  But I guess maybe it's a different story when the haircuts come with a hand massage and a scalp massage.  And the hairdresser person is a reasonably cool person that doesn't make excessive small talk.  I don't really love having to drive downtown for each of these visits, but it tends to be worth the time.  This visit is just a haircut, too, so I should be able to get the scalp treatment I had a couple trips ago.  The one that made my head and hair less dusty for a few days.  It was nice while it lasted, so I'm looking forward to it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment